Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Robin Palotai <m....@gmail.com> on 2011/04/06 10:09:00 UTC

solr faceted search performance reason

Hello List,

Please see my question at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5552919/how-does-lucene-solr-achieve-high-performance-in-multi-field-faceted-search,
I would be interested to know some details.

Thank you,
Robin

Re: solr faceted search performance reason

Posted by Jonathan Rochkind <ro...@jhu.edu>.
PS: If you want to see how Solr actually computes facetting (the
facetting code lives in the 'Solr' codebase, not in the lower level
lucene codebase), here's the file to look at, this web snapshot is from
1.4.1 dont' know if it's been changed more recently, but I don't think
majorly:

http://www.jarvana.com/jarvana/view/org/apache/solr/solr-core/1.4.1/solr-core-1.4.1-sources.jar!/org/apache/solr/request/SimpleFacets.java?format=ok

It's kind of confusing, precisely because it takes several different
approaches depending on the nature of the result set and schema, trying
to pick the most performant approach for the context.  I still haven't
wrapped my head around it entirely (I am not a Solr/lucene developer,
just a user).

Posted by Jonathan Rochkind <ro...@jhu.edu>.

Posted by Robin Palotai <m....@gmail.com>.
Carbon copied:

*Context*

This is a question mainly about Lucene (or possibly Solr) internals. The
main topic is *faceted search*, in which search can happen along multiple
independent dimensions (facets) of objects (for example size, speed, price
of a car).

When implemented with relational database, for a large number of facets
multi-field indices are not useful, since facets can be searched in any
order, so a specific ordered multi-index is used with low chance, and
creating all possible orderings of indices is unbearable.

Solr is advertised to cope well with the faceted search task, which if I
think correctly has to be connected with Lucene (supposedly) performing well
on multi-field queries (where fields of a document relate to facets of an
object).

*Question*

The *inverted index* of Lucene can be stored in a relational database, and
naturally taking the intersections of the matching documents can also be
trivially achieved with RDBMS using single-field indices.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.