Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ne...@computer-programmer.org on 2001/10/03 07:09:22 UTC

Tomcat 3.3 and user specific Webapps...

Hi there, I would like to setup my Tomcat server (running behind Apache) for users of my system.  I would like them to be able to deploy their web applications by placing the neccesary files in a webapps directory not under the standard tomcat/webapps directory but instead in their own /home/userid/webapps directory.  They would then get access to their webapps via a URL like so:

http://mydomain/~userid/webapps/mywebapp/MyServlet

How do I setup Apache/Tomcat to fullfill this need?

Thanks,

Craig.

Re: Tomcat 3.3 and user specific Webapps...

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On 2 Oct 2001 news@computer-programmer.org wrote:

> Date: 2 Oct 2001 22:09:22 -0700
> From: news@computer-programmer.org
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Tomcat 3.3 and user specific Webapps...
>
> Hi there, I would like to setup my Tomcat server (running behind
> Apache) for users of my system.  I would like them to be able to
> deploy their web applications by placing the neccesary files in a
> webapps directory not under the standard tomcat/webapps directory but
> instead in their own /home/userid/webapps directory.  They would then
> get access to their webapps via a URL like so:
>
> http://mydomain/~userid/webapps/mywebapp/MyServlet
>
> How do I setup Apache/Tomcat to fullfill this need?

It doesn't help you for 3.3, but 4.0 supports this feature.  See the "User
Home Directories" section of the configuration docs:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/host.html

Craig McClanahan