Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Sam Barnett-Cormack <s....@lancaster.ac.uk> on 2009/08/14 13:00:59 UTC

javadoc plugin aggregation woes

Hi all,

My first maven project, plain JavaSE. I want to build javadoc jars,
independent of any site - I'm trying to get that working as well, but
for now I'm considering them separately.

For organisation purposes, I've split my work into several projects,
which I've now made modules of a parent. Creating a source bundle with
source:aggregate (having also done source:jar-no-fork on the modules)
was easy. Now I want to create a combined javadoc bundle, and that's not
proving easy.

I've successfully got javadoc:jar running on the modules. However,
javadoc:aggregate-jar on the parent does nothing, as far as I can tell.

Now, since I'm using m2eclipse, I can happily create a javadoc by
running the eclipse javadoc builder over multiple projects, but I'd
rather integrate with maven if at all possible. Anyone have any ideas?

--
Sam Barnett-Cormack

Re: javadoc plugin aggregation woes

Posted by David Hoffer <dh...@gmail.com>.
I might add, we do also run site-deploy which takes the javadocs and adds to
the site generated.

-Dave

Posted by Sam Barnett-Cormack <s....@lancaster.ac.uk>.
Ah, switch the aggregator to do aggregate-jar and it all works now
(afaict). Nice.

Posted by Sam Barnett-Cormack <s....@lancaster.ac.uk>.

Posted by David Hoffer <dh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sam Barnett-Cormack <s....@lancaster.ac.uk>.

Posted by David Hoffer <dh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sam Barnett-Cormack <s....@lancaster.ac.uk>.

Posted by Sam Barnett-Cormack <s....@lancaster.ac.uk>.
David Hoffer wrote:
> This works for us, try this in your parent pom:
>
> <build>
>                 <plugins>
>                     <plugin>
>                         <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>                         <artifactId>maven-javadoc-plugin</artifactId>
>                         <version>2.5</version>
>                         <executions>
>                             <execution>
>                                 <id>attach-javadocs</id>
>                                 <goals>
>                                     <goal>jar</goal>
>                                 </goals>
>                             </execution>
>                         </executions>
>                     </plugin>
>                 </plugins>
>             </build>
>
> <reporting>
> <plugin>
>                 <!--Provides javadocs-->
>                 <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>                 <artifactId>maven-javadoc-plugin</artifactId>
>                 <version>2.5</version>
>                 <configuration>
>                     <aggregate>true</aggregate>
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>                 </configuration>
>             </plugin>
>
> </reporting>

Isn't that deprecated now? Just using the aggregate-jar target does no
good... I'll try using this. Maybe using the older version also helps.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
damn copy-pase

<project>
 <parent>
  <artifactId>project-parent</artifactId>
 </parent>
 <artifactId>project-complete</artifactId>
 <modules>
  <module>project-parent</module>
  <module>project-a</module>
  <module>project-b</module>
  <module>project-e</module>
 </modules>
 <dependencies>
   <dependency>
    <artifactId>project-a</artifactId>
   </dependency>
   <dependency>
    <artifactId>project-b</artifactId>
   </dependency>
   <dependency>
    <artifactId>project-e</artifactId>
   </dependency>
 </dependencies>
 <build>
   <plugins>
     <plugin>
       <inherited>false</inherited> <!-- not strictly speaking
necesary, but best practice as we are binding an aggregator goal -->
     </plugin>
   </plugins>
 </build>
</project>

Re: javadoc plugin aggregation woes

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
<project>
  <parent>
   <artifactId>project-parent</artifactId>
 </parent>
 <artifactId>project-___</artifactId>
 <modules>
   <module>project-parent</module>
   <module>project-a</module>
   <module>project-b</module>
   <module>project-e</module>
 </modules>
  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
     <artifactId>project-a</artifactId>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
     <artifactId>project-b</artifactId>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
     <artifactId>project-e</artifactId>
    </dependency>
  </dependencies>
  <build>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <inherited>false</inherited> <!-- not strictly speaking
necesaary, but best practice as we are binding an aggregator goal -->
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>
</project>

Posted by Sam Barnett-Cormack <s....@lancaster.ac.uk>.
Stephen Connolly wrote:
> my understanding of aggregate is that it has to go where the <modules>
> (& by implication the dependencies) are

Ah, I see! I got the separation slightly wrong. I've got you now, that's
great. So everything is a module of complete, and a dependency of it,
but a-e declare parent to be their parent. Good.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sam Barnett-Cormack <s....@lancaster.ac.uk>.

Stephen Connolly wrote:
> so to summarize:
>
> /project-complete
>   +- project-parent
>   +- project-a
>   +- project-b
>   \- project-e
>
> project-complete has the following
>
> <project>
>   <parent>
>     <artifactId>project-parent</artifactId>
>   </parent>
>   <artifactId>project-___</artifactId>
>   <modules>
>     <module>project-parent</module>
>     <module>project-a</module>
>     <module>project-b</module>
>     <module>project-e</module>
>   </modules>
> </project>
>
> project-parent has no <parent> section... or at least does not
> reference project-complete
>
> project-a, project-b, ..., project-e have the following
>
> <project>
>   <parent>
>     <artifactId>project-parent</artifactId>
>   </parent>
>   <artifactId>project-___</artifactId>
> </project>
>

> 2009/8/14 Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>:

>>> Yeah, I'm feeling that... my plan now is to have the modules, say:
>>>
>>> project-a
>>> project-b
>>> project-c
>>> project-d

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
so to summarize:

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
SEPARATE aggregation FROM inheritance... otherwise you will get cyclic

2009/8/14 Sam Barnett-Cormack <s....@lancaster.ac.uk>:
> So the one doing the aggregating would have the modules section *and* have
> the dependencies? When I've done that and set the parent in each module,
> it's complained of cyclic dependencies.
>
> Stephen Connolly wrote:

>>> Yeah, I'm feeling that... my plan now is to have the modules, say:
>>>
>>> project-a
>>> project-b
>>> project-c
>>> project-d