Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@neomeo.com> on 2000/05/09 01:05:12 UTC

Include tomcat.conf vs. Include tomcat-apache.conf

Hello,

Tomcat 3.1 User Guide is a little unclear about the Include directive that
needs to go in Apache's httpd.conf.

In one place the guide says that one should include tomcat-apache.conf file
which is generated by Tomcat when it is started.
And in another place it says that one should include tomcat.conf.

Which of the two config files should be included? Both maybe?

Thanks,

Otis

Re: Include tomcat.conf vs. Include tomcat-apache.conf

Posted by Steve Weiss <sw...@aamc.org>.
Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Tomcat 3.1 User Guide is a little unclear about the Include directive that
> needs to go in Apache's httpd.conf.
>
> In one place the guide says that one should include tomcat-apache.conf file
> which is generated by Tomcat when it is started.
> And in another place it says that one should include tomcat.conf.
>
> Which of the two config files should be included? Both maybe?

Just tomcat-apache.conf. Be aware though, that Tomcat re-creates this
file each time that it's started.
--
Steve Weiss      Association of American Medical Colleges
(202)828-0428    mailto:sweiss@aamc.org    http://www.aamc.org

Re: Include tomcat.conf vs. Include tomcat-apache.conf

Posted by Vasile GABURICI <ga...@cs.pub.ro>.
        This is explained in the user guide, but here it goes:

        1) You should include only one the files

        2) Which one? It depends.

        tomcat-apache.conf is generated by tomcat every time it is
(re)started. The advantage is that changes to contexts in server.xml
automatically are reflected in appropriate directives in tomcat-apache.conf,
so you only need to maintain one file. This may be useful if you
add/change web apps often. You need of course to restart apache after you
restart tomcat for changes to take effect.

        tomcat.conf is a sample provided for convenience; you need to make
all the changes yourself and the name of the file is not important. The
advantage is that you can make custom tweaks here.

        I prefer the second option because I don't have may contexts to
deal with, and I didn't want to bother finding out why the LoadModule
directive in tomcat-apache.conf is generated with a wrong path. There is
another more subtle issue: I need mod_jserv to come before mod_rewrite in
the conf file, so I load it in httpd.conf.

        I hope this helps,
        Vasile

Posted by David Qian <Da...@accrue.com>.
I think that you need include tomcat.conf, not both.
At least it works for me