Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/18 04:56:26 UTC

Maven tutorial

Well I don't know if anyone has noticed but I have been working on
some Maven 2 documentation lately
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/The+Maven+2+tutorial

I would like to hear your comments and suggestions since I am planning
to try to finish it in the coming weeks. In my opinion, the format is
more user-friendly at first then the sparsed documentation currently
available. What do you think?

--
Alexandre Poitras
Québec, Canada

Re: Maven tutorial

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
Thank for correcting my spelling mistakes, english isn't my native
language. About the images, I have used Open Office Draw to create the
images so I'll upload all the source files. This way everyone can
change the text easily. I'll try continue writting more this week, I
haven't had a lot of time lately .

Alexandre Poitras
Québec, Canada

Re: Maven tutorial

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven tutorial

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven tutorial

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
Thank Brett, I'll do my best.
In the first part, where I explain basic concepts, I sometimes
reproduce some of the already existing content but I always try  to
make the explanations clearer and add some details. Sometimes the
existing documentation is good but presented in a very rude way. And
lets not forget that a tutorial promotes a natural reading order,
which is very important to not confuse new users.

Other then that, I don't think I will take a lot of already existing content.

On 3/19/06, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> I plan to take a look when I get some time. The important things I'd
> keep in mind:
> - don't just reproduce documentation that already exists (like
> installation instructions). The last attempt at a tutorial on the wiki
> did this and then just petered out as it wasn't very useful. This
> doesn't appear to be the case here, just a thing to keep in mind.
> - have in the back of your mind how you'd integrate it into the project
> web site. This should give a structure that facilitates doing so later.
>
> Thanks!
> - Brett
>
> Alexandre Poitras wrote:
> > Well I don't know if anyone has noticed but I have been working on
> > some Maven 2 documentation lately
> > http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/The+Maven+2+tutorial
> >
> > I would like to hear your comments and suggestions since I am planning
> > to try to finish it in the coming weeks. In my opinion, the format is
> > more user-friendly at first then the sparsed documentation currently
> > available. What do you think?
> >
> > --
> > Alexandre Poitras
> > Québec, Canada