Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ayub Khan <ay...@gmail.com> on 2020/11/03 15:56:08 UTC

Re: NGINX + tomcat 8.0.35 (110: Connection timed out)

Chris,

*I'm curious about why you are using all of cloudflare and ALB and
nginx.Seems like any one of those could provide what you are getting from
all3 of them. *

Cloudflare is doing just the DNS and nginx is doing ssl termination

*What is the maximum number of simultaneous requests that one nginxinstance
will accept? What is the maximum number of simultaneous proxiedrequests one
nginx instance will make to a back-end Tomcat node? Howmany nginx nodes do
you have? How many Tomcat nodes?  *

We have 4 vms each having nginx and tomcat running on them and each tomcat
has nginx in front of them to proxy the requests. So it's one Nginx
proxying to a dedicated tomcat on the same VM.

below is the tomcat connector configuration

<Connector port="8080"
               connectionTimeout="60000" maxThreads="2000"
               protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"
               URIEncoding="UTF-8"
               redirectPort="8443" />

When I am doing a load test of 2000 concurrent users I see the open files
increase to 10,320 and when I take thread dump I see the threads are in a
waiting state.Slowly as the requests are completed I see the open files
come down to normal levels.

The output of the below command is
sudo cat /proc/sys/kernel/pid_max
131072

I am testing this on a c4.8xlarge VM in AWS.

below is the config I changed in nginx.conf file

events {
        worker_connections 50000;
        # multi_accept on;
}

worker_rlimit_nofile 30000;

What would be the ideal config for tomcat and Nginx so this setup on
c4.8xlarge vm could serve at least 5k or 10k requests simultaneously
without causing the open files to spike to 10K.

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 10:29 PM Christopher Schultz <
chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Ayub,
>
> On 10/28/20 23:28, Ayub Khan wrote:
> > During high load of 16k requests per minute, we notice below error in
> log.
> >
> >   [error] 2437#2437: *13335389 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed
> > out) while reading response header from upstream,  server: jahez.net,
> > request: "GET /serviceContext/ServiceName?callback= HTTP/1.1", upstream:
> "
> > http://127.0.0.1:8080/serviceContext/ServiceName
> >
> > Below is the flow of requests:
> >
> > cloudflare-->AWS ALB--> NGINX--> Tomcat-->Elastic-search
>
> I'm curious about why you are using all of cloudflare and ALB and nginx.
> Seems like any one of those could provide what you are getting from all
> 3 of them.
>
> > In NGINX we have the below config
> >
> > location /serviceContext/ServiceName{
> >
> >      proxy_pass
> http://localhost:8080/serviceContext/ServiceName;
> >     proxy_http_version  1.1;
> >      proxy_set_header    Connection          $connection_upgrade;
> >      proxy_set_header    Upgrade             $http_upgrade;
> >      proxy_set_header    Host                      $host;
> >      proxy_set_header    X-Real-IP              $remote_addr;
> >      proxy_set_header    X-Forwarded-For     $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
> >

> >          proxy_buffers 16 16k;
> >          proxy_buffer_size 32k;
> > }
>
> What is the maximum number of simultaneous requests that one nginx
> instance will accept? What is the maximum number of simultaneous proxied
> requests one nginx instance will make to a back-end Tomcat node? How
> many nginx nodes do you have? How many Tomcat nodes?
>
> > below is tomcat connector config
> >
> > <Connector port="8080"
> >                 protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"
> >                 connectionTimeout="200" maxThreads="50000"
> >                 URIEncoding="UTF-8"
> >                 redirectPort="8443" />
>
> 50,000 threads is a LOT of threads.
>
> > We monitor the open file using *watch "sudo ls /proc/`cat
> > /var/run/tomcat8.pid`/fd/ | wc -l" *the number of tomcat open files keeps
> > increasing slowing the responses. the only option to recover from this is
> > to restart tomcat.
>
> So this looks like Linux (/proc filesystem). Linux kernels have a 16-bit
> pid space which means a theoretical max pid of 65535. In practice, the
> max pid is actually to be found here:
>
> $ cat /proc/sys/kernel/pid_max
> 32768
>
> (on my Debian Linux system, 4.9.0-era kernel)
>
> Each thread takes a pid. 50k threads means more than the maximum allowed
> on the OS. So you will eventually hit some kind of serious problem with
> that many threads.
>
> How many fds do you get in the process before Tomcat grinds to a halt?
> What does the CPU usage look like? The process I/O? Disk usage? What
> does a thread dump look like (if you have the disk space to dump it!)?
>
> Why do you need that many threads?
>
> -chris

Sun Certified Enterprise Architect 1.5
Sun Certified Java Programmer 1.4
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer 2000
http://in.linkedin.com/pub/ayub-khan/a/811/b81
mobile:+966-502674604
It is proved that Hard Work and kowledge will get you close but attitude
will get you there. However, it's the Love
of God that will put you over the top!!

Re: NGINX + tomcat 8.0.35 (110: Connection timed out)

Posted by Ayub Khan <ay...@gmail.com>.
Mark,

The difference between after_start and after_load is the below sockets
which is just a sample from the repeated list, the ports are random. How to
know what these connections are related to ?

java    5021 tomcat8 3162u     IPv6              98361       0t0     TCP
localhost:http-alt->localhost:51746 (ESTABLISHED)
java    5021 tomcat8 3163u     IPv6              98362       0t0     TCP
localhost:http-alt->localhost:51748 (ESTABLISHED)
java    5021 tomcat8 3164u     IPv6              98363       0t0     TCP
localhost:http-alt->localhost:51750 (ESTABLISHED)
java    5021 tomcat8 3165u     IPv6              98364       0t0     TCP
localhost:http-alt->localhost:51752 (ESTABLISHED)
java    5021 tomcat8 3166u     IPv6              25334       0t0     TCP
localhost:http-alt->localhost:51754 (ESTABLISHED)
java    5021 tomcat8 3167u     IPv6              25335       0t0     TCP
localhost:http-alt->localhost:51756 (ESTABLISHED)
java    5021 tomcat8 3168u     IPv6              25336       0t0     TCP
localhost:http-alt->localhost:51758 (ESTABLISHED)
java    5021 tomcat8 3169u     IPv6              25337       0t0     TCP
localhost:http-alt->localhost:51760 (ESTABLISHED)
java    5021 tomcat8 3170u     IPv6              25338       0t0     TCP
localhost:http-alt->localhost:51762 (ESTABLISHED)
java    5021 tomcat8 3171u     IPv6              25339       0t0     TCP
localhost:http-alt->localhost:51764 (ESTABLISHED)
java    5021 tomcat8 3172u     IPv6              25340       0t0     TCP
localhost:http-alt->localhost:51766 (ESTABLISHED)
java    5021 tomcat8 3173u     IPv6              25341       0t0     TCP
localhost:http-alt->localhost:51768 (ESTABLISHED)
java    5021 tomcat8 3174u     IPv6              25342       0t0     TCP
localhost:http-alt->localhost:51770 (ESTABLISHED)
java    5021 tomcat8 3175u     IPv6              25343       0t0     TCP
localhost:http-alt->localhost:51772 (ESTABLISHED)
java    5021 tomcat8 3176u     IPv6              25344       0t0     TCP
localhost:http-alt->localhost:51774 (ESTABLISHED)
java    5021 tomcat8 3177u     IPv6              25345       0t0     TCP
localhost:http-alt->localhost:51776 (ESTABLISHED)
java    5021 tomcat8 3178u     IPv6              25346       0t0     TCP
localhost:http-alt->localhost:51778 (ESTABLISHED)
java    5021 tomcat8 3179u     IPv6              25347       0t0     TCP
localhost:http-alt->localhost:51780 (ESTABLISHED)
java    5021 tomcat8 3180u     IPv6              25348       0t0     TCP
localhost:http-alt->localhost:51782 (ESTABLISHED)
java    5021 tomcat8 3181u     IPv6              25349       0t0     TCP
localhost:http-alt->localhost:51784 (ESTABLISHED)
java    5021 tomcat8 3182u     IPv6              25350       0t0     TCP
localhost:http-alt->localhost:51786 (ESTABLISHED)
java    5021 tomcat8 3183u     IPv6              25351       0t0     TCP
localhost:http-alt->localhost:51788 (ESTABLISHED)

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ayub Khan <ay...@gmail.com>.
Martin,

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ayub Khan <ay...@gmail.com>.
Martin,

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ayub Khan <ay...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

I have changed the connector config as below, it has improved the
performance. I want to use this config to support at least 20k concurrent
requests. I have tested this config and there is a delay in the response
and noticed that it's coming from elastic search. I am trying to increase
the number of replicas for elastic search to improve the performance. Could
you please verify if the below connector config is good enough if I exclude
elastic search tuning ?

<Connector port="8080"
               protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"
               connectionTimeout="1000" maxConnections="40000"
maxThreads="40000" processorCache="2000"  minSpareThreads="4000"
               maxKeepAliveRequests="4000"
               URIEncoding="UTF-8"
               redirectPort="8443" />

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 8:12 PM Christopher Schultz <

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Ayub,

Posted by Ayub Khan <ay...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Ayub,

Posted by Ayub Khan <ay...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

I am using hikaricp connection pooling and the maximum pool size is set to
100, without specifying minimum idle connections. Even during high load I
see there are more than 80 connections in idle state.

I have setup debug statements to print the total time taken to complete the
request. The response time of completed call during load is around 5
seconds, the response time without load is around 400 to 500 milliseconds

During the load I cannot even access static html page

Using Jmeter, I executed 1500 requests to AWS elastic load balancer which
had only one VM instance of ninx--> tomcat  on the same VM and tomcat
consumed total memory of 30Gig and CPU was at 28% t

Posted by Ayub Khan <ay...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Ayub,