Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/15 16:01:27 UTC

[Discussion] OSGi Release 5 specification and Karaf versions

Hi All,

As there is already some discussion surrounding the next major OSGi
core specification, in anticipation I think we should consider adding
to our project Jira a place holder for Karaf version 4.0.0.

Version 4.0.0 of Karaf would be for Karaf centring around OSGi R5.
Karaf 3.x currently is centred on OSGi 4.3, while Karaf 2.x continues
to focus on OSGi R4.2. I believe having this roadmap would help make
the forward progress of Karaf a little clearer to our users.

The above being said, our community focus is still on Karaf 3.0.0. I
think just having a version place holder in Jira now will allow us to
enter issues related to OSGi R5 when required.

Any thoughts?

[1] http://www.osgi.org/blog/

Cheers,
Jamie

Re: [Discussion] OSGi Release 5 specification and Karaf versions

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1, the future is difficult to see clearly ;)

I'd be happy with a 'future' version tag.

Cheers,
Jamie

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [Discussion] OSGi Release 5 specification and Karaf versions

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
+1 on both,
basically I think it's a good idea to collect stuff for an upcoming
4.0 Karaf that will be available as a R5 Container
and also a Future that can not really be placed right now to a 3.0/4.0
or what so ever. Just that we don't loos track of them.
Every now and then we should take a look at those though to make sure
we don't miss anything for a 3.5 and so forth :)

regards, Achim

2012/3/15 Jamie G. <ja...@gmail.com>:
> Interesting idea - so future wouldn't be tied to any specific Karaf
> version. Just a place holder for "it would be nice to XYZ when the
> tech is available"? That would be useful.
>
> Cheers,
> Jamie
>
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> wrote:
>> +1
>>
>> More than 4.0.0, I would create a version "Future" in Jira.
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>>

>> On 03/15/2012 04:01 PM, Jamie G. wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> As there is already some discussion surrounding the next major OSGi
>>> core specification, in anticipation I think we should consider adding
>>> to our project Jira a place holder for Karaf version 4.0.0.
>>>
>>> Version 4.0.0 of Karaf would be for Karaf centring around OSGi R5.
>>> Karaf 3.x currently is centred on OSGi 4.3, while Karaf 2.x continues
>>> to focus on OSGi R4.2. I believe having this roadmap would help make
>>> the forward progress of Karaf a little clearer to our users.
>>>
>>> The above being said, our community focus is still on Karaf 3.0.0. I
>>> think just having a version place holder in Jira now will allow us to
>>> enter issues related to OSGi R5 when required.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.osgi.org/blog/
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jamie
>>

>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> jbonofre@apache.org
>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Committer & Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: [Discussion] OSGi Release 5 specification and Karaf versions

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
I expect it will take a time to existing frameworks to start supporting OSGi R5 features. Previously switch was easier because it was a minor upgrade (4.2->4.3).
I would not worry about that so quickly.

Best regards,
Lukasz

Wiadomość napisana przez Jamie G. w dniu 15 mar 2012, o godz. 16:05:

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [Discussion] OSGi Release 5 specification and Karaf versions

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
+1

Freeman
On 2012-3-15, at 下午11:48, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> Karaf is not really tied to the osgi version used underneath,
> especially as
> they are backward compatible and I don't think upgrading the
> underlying
> OSGi container warrant a new major release which is very painful for
> downstream projects.  I think a Karaf 3.1 would be sufficient for
> including
> the new osgi version.
>
> Ftr, I'm still thinking about create a 2.3 branch in the near future
> backport some new features that came into 3.x, including the upgrade
> osgi 4.3 to the 2.x branch, but leaving all disruptive features
> around the
> maven plugin, subshells, command renaming, etc...
>
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 16:01, Jamie G. <ja...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> As there is already some discussion surrounding the next major OSGi
>> core specification, in anticipation I think we should consider adding
>> to our project Jira a place holder for Karaf version 4.0.0.
>>
>> Version 4.0.0 of Karaf would be for Karaf centring around OSGi R5.
>> Karaf 3.x currently is centred on OSGi 4.3, while Karaf 2.x continues
>> to focus on OSGi R4.2. I believe having this roadmap would help make
>> the forward progress of Karaf a little clearer to our users.
>>
>> The above being said, our community focus is still on Karaf 3.0.0. I
>> think just having a version place holder in Jira now will allow us to
>> enter issues related to OSGi R5 when required.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> [1] http://www.osgi.org/blog/
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jamie
>>

> --
> ------------------------
> Guillaume Nodet
> ------------------------
> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
> ------------------------
> FuseSource, Integration everywhere
> http://fusesource.com

Freeman Fang

FuseSource
Email:ffang@fusesource.com
Web: fusesource.com
Twitter: freemanfang
Blog: http://freemanfang.blogspot.com

Re: [Discussion] OSGi Release 5 specification and Karaf versions

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
+1

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: [Discussion] OSGi Release 5 specification and Karaf versions

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.