Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com> on 2013/09/26 20:16:22 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release Apache Stratos 3.0.0 Incubating RC1

Hi all,

This thread is for discussion of the first release candidate for Apache
Stratos 3.0.0-incubating [1]. Please use this thread for discussion of
issues uncovered in the RC, questions you may have about the RC, etc.

RC release packs are at[1]. A git tag is created for this release as you
can see at[2].

[1]
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/stratos/3.0.0-incubating-rc1/
[2]
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-stratos.git;a=tag;h=baff4979db295625e6951534712bb3b6bbc65273

Thanks

Lahiru Sandaruwan
Software Engineer,
Platform Technologies,
WSO2 Inc., http://wso2.com
lean.enterprise.middleware

email: lahirus@wso2.com cell: (+94) 773 325 954
blog: http://lahiruwrites.blogspot.com/
twitter: http://twitter.com/lahirus

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Stratos 3.0.0 Incubating RC1

Posted by Isuru Perera <is...@wso2.com>.
Hi,

We test Cartridges based on Ubuntu cloud images and therefore we think we
cannot distribute those with the release.

I think this was not discussed in the mailing list as we assumed there
would be issues with license

-- Sent from mobile

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.
On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 1:03 AM, Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>wrote:

> Sure, will provide unofficial cartridges, well as Stratos installed
> pre-build EC2 AMI for easy of testing.

+1. We can provide cartridges for  Openstack and EC2 AMIs for the community
use.

Thanks.

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.
Hi Chip,

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@wso2.com>.
Hi Chip,

For this release we created a script based installer and you can refer the
installation guide at [1]. With this release, we are not distributing any
cartridges and we have added a guide to create cartridges [2].

After setting up the Apache Stratos, you can refer the user guide [3] for
adding a tenant, subscribing to a cartridge etc.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/Installation+Guide
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/Creating+a+Cartridge
[3] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/GUI+Guide

--
Thanks and Regards,

Isuru H.
Software Engineer, WSO2 Inc.
+94 716 358 048
*http://wso2.com/*

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Stratos 3.0.0 Incubating RC1

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.
On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 11:43 PM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:

> So I've just started looking - CLI was first - I was a bit put off at
> the size initially, but then understood why once I exploded the
> archive. There essentially is only a jar (along with L/N/D). This
> should not be in a release. ASF releases are source-only releases. I
> know you aren't calling for a vote yet, but if you were I'd be -1.
>
> Also - please don't put up both zip and tarball - pick one. Having
> both means that people auditing your release (mentors and IPMC
> members) have to vet twice as much, and it's generally hard enough for
> most projects to get enough binding votes for a release as it is, you
> have 5 packages - * 2 formats - that's effectively 10 packages to

Hi David,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. We thought having both according to
"It is therefore recommended that each type of package is shipped in a
variety of compressed formats. Ship at least one of tar.gz, bz or bz2 for
UNIX and linux (but note
this<http://incubator.apache.org/guides/notes-on-compression-formats>).
Ship zip for windows."
 mentioned at[1].

Anyway we will stick to one format as per your point.

Thanks.

[1]
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-formats

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 03:30:35AM +0530, Lakmal Warusawithana wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> There is a voting mail against source-only release. I hope your are using
> gmail, its showing both mail thread as one. If gmail, second mail of this
> thread is [Vote] Release Apache Stratos 3.0.0 Incubating RC1.

I can't find that email anywhere.  What's the message-id or can you link
to it in the archives?  Perhaps it didn't go out?

I do see a vote email, but it only mentions a binary release and maven
staging repo.

-chip

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Stratos 3.0.0 Incubating RC1

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.
Hi David,

There is a voting mail against source-only release. I hope your are using
gmail, its showing both mail thread as one. If gmail, second mail of this
thread is [Vote] Release Apache Stratos 3.0.0 Incubating RC1.

Binaries are provided for user convenience. And I agree we should give one
compress format, either zip or tar.gz

thanks

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.