Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Bonner <bk...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/23 20:08:00 UTC

Proxy Cookie Path Question (answer to my 408 error when Proxying Tomcat)

Hello,

We ran across a problem with an Apache 2.0.51-2.9 installation.  We
are using the reverse proxy configuration to proxy a Tomcat 5.0.28
system.

When proxying a site with a change in the path we run into a problem
where the cookies path is not changed to reflect the request on Tomcat
apps.  When we run PHP applications (i.e. SugarCRM) with Apache on the
back-end server, we have no problem.  Cookies that have a non "/" path
are properly corrected.

I see that Apache 2.2.x has ProxyPassReverseCookiePath.  What's
frustrating to me is that the folks over at Tomcat are saying that
this is a Apache issue when I'm seeing that a PHP based app has no
problem at all.

Can someone with experience in this area shed some light on this issue
for me?  I'm really trying to figure out what an app server *should*
do, or is this not specified anywhere.

Brian

FWIW, I was originally receiving a 408 error msg indicating that the
session was timing out.  It turned out that this was a result of
Tomcat not receiving the cookie, because the browser never saw it with
the correct path.

There are workarounds:

1.  use ProxyPassReverseCookiePath (I'm downloading 2.2.x now)
2.  upgrade to Tomcat 5.5 and change the connector to set all of the
cookie paths' to "/"
3.  modify the Tomcat 5.0.28 cookie handling code.

RE: Proxy Cookie Path Question (answer to my 408 error when Proxying Tomcat)