Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by jimtronic <ji...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/10 19:54:05 UTC

optimal maxWarmingSearchers in solr cloud

The notes for maxWarmingSearchers in solrconfig.xml state:

"Recommend values of 1-2 for read-only slaves, higher for masters w/o cache
warming."

Since solr cloud nodes could be both a leader and non-leader depending on
the current state of the cloud, what would be the optimal setting here?

Thanks!
Jim

Re: optimal maxWarmingSearchers in solr cloud

Posted by jimtronic <ji...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the thorough reply! I hadn't seen the Warm Up time stat in the
admin section before.

Posted by Timothy Potter <th...@gmail.com>.
Sorry I'm answering your question with more questions, but this is an area
of special interest for me too.

It's tough to say an exact value as it depends on how frequently you do
full "hard" commits and how much warming you do when you open a new
searcher. Broadly speaking, you want it to be a smallish value as
background warming can be expensive. So how often are you doing a "hard"
commit and does it take longer to warm-up your searchers?

A few things to consider are:

auto-commits - can use openSearcher=false to avoid opening a new searcher
when doing large batch updates. This allows you to auto-commit more
frequently so that your update log doesn't get too big w/o paying the price
of warming a new searcher on every auto-commit.

new searcher warming queries - how many of these do you have and how long
do they take to warm up? You can get searcher warm-up time from the
Searcher MBean in the admin console.

cache auto-warming - again, how much of your existing caches are you
auto-warming? Keep a close eye on the filterCache and it's autowarmCount.
Warm-up times also available from the admin console.

Cheers,
Tim