Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> on 2005/01/10 18:59:14 UTC

jpackage, JDKs and Ant

Having just upgrade to Suse9.2 wierd and wonderful things have happened
to my java setup, like the java1.4.2 JDK has moved somewhere, and now
all the java commands are in /usr/bin, symlinked through
/etc/alternatives to what looks like a new version of 1.4.2.
Also,JAVA_HOME is mapped to the JVM home, not a JDK:

 > echo $JAVA_HOME
/usr/lib/jvm/java

Does anyone know what is going on here? Is this jpackage or a new Sun
layout system? I think the former, as adding java1.5 SDK to the mix
doesnt bind javac to the new location.

What should I be doing to move up to Java1.5?

On the ant side of things, who has played with ant installed via
jpackage? Are the scripts different? What are the mechanisms for people
to add new stuff to the lib directories, given that a root-installed
system wont let people do that? Do you have to run ant -lib ~/somedir ,
or is that all automatic?

-steve

Re: jpackage, JDKs and Ant

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@apache.org>.
Steve Loughran wrote:

> Having just upgrade to Suse9.2 wierd and wonderful things have
> happened to my java setup, like the java1.4.2 JDK has moved somewhere,
> and now all the java commands are in /usr/bin, symlinked through
> /etc/alternatives to what looks like a new version of 1.4.2.
> Also,JAVA_HOME is mapped to the JVM home, not a JDK:
>
> > echo $JAVA_HOME
> /usr/lib/jvm/java

Ick!

I would say do what is normally done, define JAVA_HOME and PATH in your
.bashrc file, except
place the $JAVA_HOME/bin at the start of the $PATH rather than at the
end of the path.

..
..
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.5.0
export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH

Peter

Re: jpackage, JDKs and Ant

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> Does anyone know what is going on here? Is this jpackage or a new
> Sun layout system?

jpackage, I guess.

> What should I be doing to move up to Java1.5?

Probably install <http://www.jpackage.org/rpm.php?id=1291> (see the
rebuilding instructions).

> On the ant side of things, who has played with ant installed via
> jpackage?

I haven't, but I used to help them syncing with our stuff.

> Are the scripts different?

They used to be current with our CVS HEAD scripts rather than Ant
1.6.x, but I haven't checked lately and unsubscribed from the jpackage
list during my last vacation.

> What are the mechanisms for people to add new stuff to the lib
> directories, given that a root-installed system wont let people do
> that?

~/.ant/lib just like you'd do with plain Ant.

Stefan