Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by PeterKerk <ve...@hotmail.com> on 2010/10/22 11:59:04 UTC

Solr Javascript+JSON not optimized for SEO

Hi,

When I retrieve data via javascript+JSON method (instead of REST via URL),
the link which I click does not reflect what the user will end up seeing.

Example for showing the features belonging to a LED TV product:
JSON

getFeatureFacets('LEDTV') Get features for LED TV

REST
www.domain.com/TVs/LEDTV Get features for LED TV

As you see the href in the second example clearly displays what the user may
expect when clicking this link. That is VERY important for search engines.
So how can I still use javascript+JSON, but not loose the SEO value?

Regards,
Peter

Re: Solr Javascript+JSON not optimized for SEO

Posted by PeterKerk <ve...@hotmail.com>.
Offering both...that sounds to me like duplicating development efforts? Or am
I overseeing something here?

Nick Jenkin-2 wrote:

> NB: "it's faster" is not a valid answer!

Why is it not valid? Because its not necessarily faster or...?

And what about user experience? Instead of needing to refresh the entire
page I can now do partial page updates?

Thanks!

Re: Solr Javascript+JSON not optimized for SEO

Posted by Nick Jenkin <nj...@gmail.com>.
The solution is to offer both, and provide fallback for browsers that
don't support javascript (e.g. Googlebot)
I would also ponder the question "how does this ajax feature help my
users?". If you can't find a good answer to that, you should probably
just not use ajax. (NB: "it's faster" is not a valid answer!)
-Nick

Posted by PeterKerk <ve...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Dennis Gearon <ge...@sbcglobal.net>.
How can we see what each will do?