Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Lee Doughty <le...@virginiacyberrange.org> on 2022/05/31 20:44:41 UTC

Guacamole re-connection attempts never stop... they should?

Hello Guacamole Community,

I tried asking this a few weeks ago, but it looks like there was not a lot
of traction on this idea.. but I wanted to try one more time before I gave
up on it.

I think it would be a great feature to stop auto-reconnect attempts that
are simply not connecting after several dozen attempts. I've seen in our
logs that some users hit the "Reconnect" button or otherwise get into a
reconnect loop, then leave the tab open for hours *or days*. This results
in our guacamole server getting a ping every minute or so from a user
trying to connect to a VM that is not available, and they just leave it
retrying over and over again.

It would be nice to at least require user interaction to resume the
connection attempts... So users have to return to the tab every N attempts
to restart the countdown, instead of the current never-ending loop... I'm
not suggesting any value for N... because any reasonable value would be
nice over infinite. My record was somewhere in the ballpark of 7,000
attempts (5 days) before the user was kind enough to close the tab and stop
poking our Guacamole server.

Is this something that can make it into an upcoming Guacamole release?

-Lee

Re: Guacamole re-connection attempts never stop... they should?

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 4:56 PM ralph strebbing <bl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, May 31, 2022, 4:44 PM Lee Doughty <le...@virginiacyberrange.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello Guacamole Community,
>>
>> I tried asking this a few weeks ago, but it looks like there was not a
>> lot of traction on this idea.. but I wanted to try one more time before I
>> gave up on it.
>>
>> I think it would be a great feature to stop auto-reconnect attempts that
>> are simply not connecting after several dozen attempts. I've seen in our
>> logs that some users hit the "Reconnect" button or otherwise get into a
>> reconnect loop, then leave the tab open for hours *or days*. This
>> results in our guacamole server getting a ping every minute or so from a
>> user trying to connect to a VM that is not available, and they just leave
>> it retrying over and over again.
>>
>> It would be nice to at least require user interaction to resume the
>> connection attempts... So users have to return to the tab every N attempts
>> to restart the countdown, instead of the current never-ending loop... I'm
>> not suggesting any value for N... because any reasonable value would be
>> nice over infinite. My record was somewhere in the ballpark of 7,000
>> attempts (5 days) before the user was kind enough to close the tab and stop
>> poking our Guacamole server.
>>
>> Is this something that can make it into an upcoming Guacamole release?
>>

> This is also something that would be nice as a "per-device" or a per guacd
> config value to adjust (or a default value if not set).

Today Guacamole attempts to handle this based on the reason for the
disconnect. If the disconnect is detected to be a "normal" disconnect (user
logs off or disconnects from inside a RDP session, for example), Guacamole
should not automatically attempt to reconnect. If the disconnect is
unexpected - network drops, mainly - Guacamole will reconnect.

That said, I think it would be useful to have an option where you could
disable the auto-reconnect, or set a limit on the number of reconnect
attempts, on a per-connection basis.

Seems related to this particular Jira issue:

-Nick

Re: Guacamole re-connection attempts never stop... they should?

Posted by ralph strebbing <bl...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> Hello Guacamole Community,
>
> I tried asking this a few weeks ago, but it looks like there was not a lot
> of traction on this idea.. but I wanted to try one more time before I gave
> up on it.
>
> I think it would be a great feature to stop auto-reconnect attempts that
> are simply not connecting after several dozen attempts. I've seen in our
> logs that some users hit the "Reconnect" button or otherwise get into a
> reconnect loop, then leave the tab open for hours *or days*. This results
> in our guacamole server getting a ping every minute or so from a user
> trying to connect to a VM that is not available, and they just leave it
> retrying over and over again.
>
> It would be nice to at least require user interaction to resume the
> connection attempts... So users have to return to the tab every N attempts
> to restart the countdown, instead of the current never-ending loop... I'm
> not suggesting any value for N... because any reasonable value would be
> nice over infinite. My record was somewhere in the ballpark of 7,000
> attempts (5 days) before the user was kind enough to close the tab and stop
> poking our Guacamole server.
>
> Is this something that can make it into an upcoming Guacamole release?

This is also something that would be nice as a "per-device" or a per guacd
config value to adjust (or a default value if not set).

- Ralph

Re: Guacamole re-connection attempts never stop... they should?

Posted by Lee Doughty <le...@virginiacyberrange.org>.
Sean, thanks for the clarification.

From that reply, you've made it clear you do understand the issue, and that
you've modified the guacamole-client in a way that is similar to this
feature request -- making guacamole-client stop requesting your
guacamole-hosts poll your back end targets once they appear to be dead (by
some configurable parameter). You achieved this by writing an extension
that handles this more intelligently and for your specific use case,
whereas G-1126 and this email chain are saying that some portion of that
logic should be inside guacamole by default as a matter of good practice so
the go-to answer to resolve it isn't to write an extension, or write your
own UI.

I believe you're trying to highlight the issue of performance issues
because of the mention of resource constraints/load -- I think those of us
facing this issue are not having an *active* issue with the Guacamole
server load constraints, just seeing inefficiency that can be improved. The
real constraint (to my team) is that we have to deal with log noise, and
graphing and alarms based on log events/frequency are less useful since a
single user stuck in an infinite loop generates a lot of noise...

This issue is also closely related to how some of us are trying to manage
the *target* *resource* constraints... and forcing idle users out can
contribute to this issue appearing more frequently. The real fix is here
better activity monitoring, which is why I started a separate discussion on
that.

-Lee

Posted by Sean Hulbert <sh...@securitycentric.net.INVALID>.

 <http://www.securitycentric.net/> www.securitycentric.net

--
Jürgen

Re: Guacamole re-connection attempts never stop... they should?

Posted by Lee Doughty <le...@virginiacyberrange.org>.

--
Jürgen

Re: Guacamole re-connection attempts never stop... they should?

Posted by Lee Doughty <le...@virginiacyberrange.org>.
Nick,

Posted by Jürgen Kuri <ju...@ionos.com>.
Suggestion: