Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net> on 2011/06/23 10:24:02 UTC

A necessary clarification about contributions

Hi,

in a private talk I recognized some confusion about how people can
contribute to a future OOo project at Apache.org.

My understanding is that all that a contributor needs is submitting the
ICLA. It is not necessary to join the Apache Foundation nor is it
necessary to register oneself as a project member or contributor for the
OOo project (as we did in the proposal).

Is my understanding correct?

Regards,
Mathias

Re: A necessary clarification about contributions

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> My understanding is that all that a contributor needs is submitting the ICLA.

http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

"The ASF desires that all contributors of ideas, code, or
documentation to the Apache projects complete, sign, and submit (via
postal mail, fax or email) an Individual Contributor License
Agreement"

> It is not necessary to join the Apache Foundation nor is it necessary
> to register oneself as a project member or contributor for the OOo project
> (as we did in the proposal).

"Registration" is not necessary. The contributor sends a patch to the
mailinglist, explaining what he did. Additionally he adds the patch to
a Jira issue (new or existing one) and checking a box with which he
allows usage.

In some cases patches were applied even when there is no ICLA signed.
This usually done for corrections of spelling or minor stuff. For all
other contributions the ICLA should be signed.

Please see this:
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/contributing.html
http://www.apache.org/dev/#committers

OOo should have a document on contributing. Here is an example:
http://logging.apache.org/log4php/contributingpatches.html

A little more on licenses (not directly related):
http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html

> Is my understanding correct?

I would say yes :-)
Cheers,