Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Kenny Smith <ja...@journalscape.com> on 2003/02/28 16:55:22 UTC

Anyone had problems with SMTP-AUTH and Netscape/Mozilla?

Hi all,

I've been running SMTP-AUTH on my James 2.1 server for quite awhile now
and it's been working great. Suddenly though, I find that Netscape and
Mozilla's mail readers refuse to send smtp-auth information.

Has anyone experienced this? I've sniffed the communication and it looks
to me like James is sending the AUTH LOGIN PLAIN notification, but my
mail reader is just ignoring it.

I'm able to use Outlook to auth and send just fine, but Netscape 7,
Mozilla 1.2b and 1.3b are giving me problems.

Kenny Smith

Re: Anyone had problems with SMTP-AUTH and Netscape/Mozilla?

Posted by Josip Almasi <jo...@vrspace.org>.
Josip Almasi wrote:
> It's in mozilla - in smtp server properties, 'use secure connection
> (smtp)', check 'never'.

I mean (ssl) :))

Regards...

Re: Anyone had problems with SMTP-AUTH and Netscape/Mozilla?

Posted by Josip Almasi <jo...@vrspace.org>.
Kenny Smith wrote:
> Were you able to find a solution or a real cause of the problem?

Just now:)))
It's in mozilla - in smtp server properties, 'use secure connection
(smtp)', check 'never'.

Regards,
Josip

Re: Anyone had problems with SMTP-AUTH and Netscape/Mozilla?

Posted by Kenny Smith <ja...@journalscape.com>.
Were you able to find a solution or a real cause of the problem?

Kenny

Posted by Josip Almasi <jo...@vrspace.org>.

Posted by Kenny Smith <ja...@journalscape.com>.
Hi Randy,

I definately have netspcape configured to auth, because it was working
before and it stopped yesterday. I'm trying to find out what else in the
system may have changed, but I can't find anything. So, I'm just fishing
for suggestions at this point.

Thanks for the response!
Kenny

Posted by Kenny Smith <ja...@journalscape.com>.
Hi Cesar,

Thanks for the reply, but I'm already using 2.1.1, so that patch is
included. Any other suggestions?

Kenny

Posted by Cesar Bonadio <bo...@picture.com.br>.
I had the same problema in version 2.03a and I found
a patch in the users mailling list after the patch it worked

[]s

Posted by Kenny Smith <ja...@journalscape.com>.
Hi Noel,

The problem still is occuring, but I'm pretty much convinced at this
point that SOMETHING on my company's network is blocking the AUTH lines
in the response.

When I telnet to james from my windows box at work, I see:

250-samaritech.net Hello journalscape.com (lax.oingo.com [209.189.108.252])

and when I telnet to james from my linux box at work, I see:
250-samaritech.net Hello journalscape.com (lax.oingo.com [209.189.108.252])
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250 AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN

So.. in the end. I'm running 2.1.2 and convinced that James is behaving
properly.

Thanks for all your help, I'll go nag the IT guys.

Kenny Smith

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Kenny Smith <ja...@journalscape.com>.
Hi Noel,