Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au> on 2003/02/18 05:01:51 UTC

Chaperon samples in Cocoon

Thanks Stephan for fixing my attempt to develop a basic
Chaperon sample. That is much better.

I noticed that you also changed the pipeline for
generating the *.xlex and *.xgrm to be "internal-only".

As i said in the Sourceforge posting, this was actually
a useful tool for helping to develop the grammars, by
starting with a text grammar and then calling the URIs
for localhost:8080/cocoon/samples/chaperon/quote.xlex
and .../quote.xgrm to ensure that the grammar was okay.

However, now that cannot be done because the pipeline
is "internal-only". Is there any real need? Could it
remain exposed?

On a related issue ... you will notice in the
chaperon/samples/sitemap.xmap that i needed to use
the previously generated quote.xlex and quote.xgrm
I tried to instead use the "cocoon:" protocol for these,
but this results in a useless error message. This is
very strange, because using the technique mentioned
above (to generate the files with an external request
then save them back into the webapp directory and
use them as static files) should give the same result.

--David

Re: Chaperon samples in Cocoon

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Martin Holz wrote:
> David Crossley writes:
>
> > Thanks Stephan for fixing my attempt to develop a basic
> > Chaperon sample. That is much better.
> >
> > I noticed that you also changed the pipeline for
> > generating the *.xlex and *.xgrm to be "internal-only".
> >
> > As i said in the Sourceforge posting, this was actually
> > a useful tool for helping to develop the grammars, by
> > starting with a text grammar and then calling the URIs
> > for localhost:8080/cocoon/samples/chaperon/quote.xlex
> > and .../quote.xgrm to ensure that the grammar was okay.
> >
> > However, now that cannot be done because the pipeline
> > is "internal-only". Is there any real need? Could it
> > remain exposed?
>
> There is no real need. However I would suggest to make it public
> during early development and change it to internal for final testing
> and production.
> Be careful about exposing pipelines, which are not meant for the end user.
> You may reveal information, which is not meant to leave the house. Also
> it might be easier  to hack your server and your users may depend on
> information, which you consider implementation details.

Well, how silly of me not to see that very good reason.

Stephan, i am going to close it up again and add an internal
comment to the sitemap.

Such security issues should be noted in the documentation
and/or Wiki. I just did a quick search of both and could
not find much.

> One a related question. Is there are easy way to temporary
> disable views, so you could get them back, if you need to
> do some debugging?

I cannot answer that, but i hope that someone does. It sounds
important.

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.
David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au> writes:

> Thanks Stephan for fixing my attempt to develop a basic
> Chaperon sample. That is much better.
>
> I noticed that you also changed the pipeline for
> generating the *.xlex and *.xgrm to be "internal-only".
>
> As i said in the Sourceforge posting, this was actually
> a useful tool for helping to develop the grammars, by
> starting with a text grammar and then calling the URIs
> for localhost:8080/cocoon/samples/chaperon/quote.xlex
> and .../quote.xgrm to ensure that the grammar was okay.
>
> However, now that cannot be done because the pipeline
> is "internal-only". Is there any real need? Could it
> remain exposed?

There is no real need. However I would suggest to make it public
during early development and change it to internal for final testing
and production.
Be careful about exposing pipelines, which are not meant for the end user.
You may reveal information, which is not meant to leave the house. Also
it might be easier  to hack your server and your users may depend on
information, which you consider implementation details.

One a related question. Is there are easy way to temporary
disable views, so you could get them back, if you need to
do some debugging?

Martin

Re: Chaperon samples in Cocoon

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Stephan Michels wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
<snip/>
> > On a related issue ... you will notice in the
> > chaperon/samples/sitemap.xmap that i needed to use
> > the previously generated quote.xlex and quote.xgrm
> > I tried to instead use the "cocoon:" protocol for these,
> > but this results in a useless error message. This is
> > very strange, because using the technique mentioned
> > above (to generate the files with an external request
> > then save them back into the webapp directory and
> > use them as static files) should give the same result.
>
> Do mean the NPE in AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=104549928629410&w=2

Absolutely, that is the one. Sorry i did notice your
message whizzing past, but forgot. Anyway, this brings
the issue up again. It seems a very important general bug.

Posted by Stephan Michels <st...@apache.org>.
On 18 Feb 2003, David Crossley wrote:

> Thanks Stephan for fixing my attempt to develop a basic
> Chaperon sample. That is much better.
>
> I noticed that you also changed the pipeline for
> generating the *.xlex and *.xgrm to be "internal-only".
>
> As i said in the Sourceforge posting, this was actually
> a useful tool for helping to develop the grammars, by
> starting with a text grammar and then calling the URIs
> for localhost:8080/cocoon/samples/chaperon/quote.xlex
> and .../quote.xgrm to ensure that the grammar was okay.
>
> However, now that cannot be done because the pipeline
> is "internal-only". Is there any real need? Could it
> remain exposed?

Just a reflex, that I make internal pipelines 'internal-only'.
I'll revert this.

> On a related issue ... you will notice in the
> chaperon/samples/sitemap.xmap that i needed to use
> the previously generated quote.xlex and quote.xgrm
> I tried to instead use the "cocoon:" protocol for these,
> but this results in a useless error message. This is
> very strange, because using the technique mentioned
> above (to generate the files with an external request
> then save them back into the webapp directory and
> use them as static files) should give the same result.

Do mean the NPE in AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=104549928629410&w=2
?

Stephan.