Posted to women@apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2005/08/11 17:49:06 UTC

[VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org

continue to be moderated until the participants decide to change that
policy.

This vote is to determine if the participants on this list agree to
allow subscriptions by non-committers.

[ ]  1: Yes, I approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org
[ ]  0: I don't care
[ ] -1: No (please add an explanation)

Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org

Posted by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
> [x]  1: Yes, I approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org
> [ ]  0: I don't care
> [ ] -1: No (please add an explanation)

 Kess

Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
  > [X]  1: Yes, I approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org
> [ ]  0: I don't care
> [ ] -1: No (please add an explanation)

  -jean

Re: [TALLY] [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.
On Aug 14, 2005, at 10:12 PM, susan wu wrote:

> +1 with the new charters

Same here.  +1 with the new charters.

-Fitz

Posted by susan wu <su...@arctic.org>.
+1 with the new charters

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.
Brian W. Fitzpatrick wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 08:49 -0700, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

>>continue to be moderated until the participants decide to change that
>>policy.
>>
>>This vote is to determine if the participants on this list agree to
>>allow subscriptions by non-committers.
>>
>>[ ]  1: Yes, I approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org
>>[x]  0: I don't care
>>[ ] -1: No (please add an explanation)
>>

>I don't care, although deep down inside, I'd probably prefer that for
>the immediate future we allow non-committers in only on a case-by-case
>basis (i.e. Invited participants and interested third parties that we
>approve of) until we get the ball rolling.
>
>That's just an opinion, thoush.  My vote stands at 0.

Its my assumption that is what we are talking about.  Not a blanket open
door yet.

Re: using apache.org address

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >
> >There are some tips for moderators in
> >https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/docs/resources.txt
> >(probably need to be moved to /dev/).
> >
> >http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#hats
>
> Oh good, I'm not suffering from early alzheimers then. :-) The
> MailAlias.txt mentioned by resources.txt does the trick -- thanks for
> the tip.

Mmmm, i don't what is the purpose of that file,
nor whether it is well-maintained (probably not).
Anyway, it helps.

-David

Re: using apache.org address

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

using apache.org address

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Ted Leung wrote:
> I'm afraid that I'm the cause of the need for the vote here.   It
> wasn't clear to me that we were talking about qualified non- comitters,
> so my apologies for that.

Ted, it isn't you. :-) I had already mentioned that one of the derby
developers who isn't a committer had already asked me if she could
subscribe. I really want to see non-committers get involved.

At some point, I'd like to see subscription moderation removed, but we
aren't at a point yet where everyone will agree to that.

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
Vote is here, comments below

On Aug 11, 2005, at 9:40 AM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Brian W. Fitzpatrick wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 08:49 -0700, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

>>> they will continue to be moderated until the participants decide
>>> to change that policy.
>>>
>>> This vote is to determine if the participants on this list agree
>>> to allow subscriptions by non-committers.
>>>
>>> [ ]  1: Yes, I approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org
>>> [x]  0: I don't care
>>> [ ] -1: No (please add an explanation)
>>>
>> I don't care, although deep down inside, I'd probably prefer that for
>> the immediate future we allow non-committers in only on a case-by-
>> case
>> basis (i.e. Invited participants and interested third parties that we
>> approve of) until we get the ball rolling.
>>

> I agree. So far with the moderation requests, if the email is from
> a non-apache site, I do a lookup in google, then check the name I
> find against http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html . If I
> can't verify, I plan to post to this list asking if anyone knows
> the requestor.

I'm afraid that I'm the cause of the need for the vote here.   It
wasn't clear to me that we were talking about qualified non-
comitters, so my apologies for that.

Also, (for informational purposes), there are a fair number of people
who do not use their @apache.org addresses on a regular basis.  For
example, I only use mine if I (rarely) feel the need to speak as a
member.  I used the address a little bit more when I was a PMC chair.

Ted

Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org

Posted by susan wu <su...@arctic.org>.

> I don't care, although deep down inside, I'd probably prefer that for
> the immediate future we allow non-committers in only on a case-by-case
> basis (i.e. Invited participants and interested third parties that we
> approve of) until we get the ball rolling.

I agree with Brian's statement.  Before I vote, I want to understand the
purpose of bringing on board non-committers.

What do we hope to accomplish? Are we trying to get more input into
developing programs and outreach to bring more women into the ASF
community?  What do we think additional people will be able to contribute?
(Asking out of genuine curiosity)

I would only be +1 if these people were already very familiar with how the
ASF community and process works.  People who know what's broken now would
be best suited to help us figure out how to improve it.

Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com>.
On 8/11/05, Jean T. Anderson <jt...@bristowhill.com> wrote:
> continue to be moderated until the participants decide to change that
> policy.
>
> This vote is to determine if the participants on this list agree to
> allow subscriptions by non-committers.
>
> [X ]  1: Yes, I approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org
> [ ]  0: I don't care
> [ ] -1: No (please add an explanation)

Let's not wait for women to become committers before they can use this
list to help get more involved in the ASF.  There are other lists out
there for women and open source, but none that focus on Apache.

Cliff

Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.
On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 07:49 +1000, Ian Holsman wrote:

> (I think my vote is binding, but I don't know the rules in this list)

I think that everyone subscribed to this list should have a binding
vote.

-Fitz

Re: Mired in procedures (was Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org)

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Mired in procedures (was Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org)

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Mired in procedures (was Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org)

Posted by susan wu <su...@arctic.org>.

> but honestly I see 2 different needs here.
>
> 1. getting women more involved - - how do we get this done
>
> 2. helping new people/women out/ learning the ropes

I am +1.  The reason being that there's no reason why we shouldn't get
women involved today, while we try to sort out our strategy behind the
scenes. So I agree- one list for ascertaining what our official position
and programs are in support of a recruitment/enlightenment effort, and one
for getting women involved in dialogue with the community -today-.  As
Jean mentions, there are women who could benefit from our mentoring
immediately, with whom we could share best practices.  On the other hand,
there are issues for which we have not reached consensus that should
remain internal until we do reach consensus.

Re: Mired in procedures (was Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org)

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Mired in procedures (was Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org)

Posted by Ian Holsman <kr...@gmail.com>.
but honestly I see 2 different needs here.

1. getting women more involved - - how do we get this done

2. helping new people/women out/ learning the ropes

both of these needs have different audiences, different objectives,
and different measures
of success.

that is why I suggested splitting up. one is a operational one, the
other is strategic.

I see you disagree, thats OK ..
but I don't see how having one list could address both of these needs
at the same time, without the two needs getting all tangled up in each
other.

-i

--
Ian@Holsman.net -- 03-9877-0909
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. -

Mired in procedures (was Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org)

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Ian Holsman <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Posted by Ian Holsman <kr...@gmail.com>.
On 8/12/05, Jean T. Anderson <jt...@bristowhill.com> wrote:
> Ian Holsman wrote:
> > Hi Jean,
> > I'll try to cut down the long emails now.
> >

> Long emails are fine; it just might take a little time to read and
> digest them.  :-) But I have to admit I'm losing something here. In your
> view, what are the 2 missions? I apologize in advance if I'm not reading
> closely enough.

1 mission, 2 lists

mission: Increase the  participation of women at Apache

list: how to make apache a less threatening environment so as to
encourage more participation
AND
list: having a place where newbies get to learn the ropes.

the first is where people would discuss what needs to be done, and how
best to achieve it  this would be more of a PR/OrgCulture related one
where people strategise and plan on how best to acheive the mission.

the 2nd list would be a offspring of that, where your new derby
comitter could go and learn all about jira, tigris, svn, forrest and
the likes.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org

Posted by susan wu <su...@arctic.org>.

> I largely disagree.  When you get sufficient interest/buyin on an
> effort for it to get started, you don't open the ball by repurposing
> it.

We had sufficient interest and buy in to -discuss- and collaborate on the
proposal, not to push it forward without modification.

And why would you want to push something through without collaboration?
Any effort will be far more successful if you win buy-in.  Attempts to
impose some agenda on an unwilling audience only serve to alienate you and
distance you from your end goals.

Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org

Posted by susan wu <su...@arctic.org>.

> Jean, Danese, correct me if I'm wrong (or please corroborate
> if I'm right), but I do NOT think that was the list's.  It
> wasn't a matter of changing the ASF, but of educating and supporting
> women who want/have to participate there.

As we engage in dialogue, the original proposal will likely, and SHOULD,
change, to reflect all of the input from interested parties.

Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org

Posted by Ian Holsman <kr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jean,
I'll try to cut down the long emails now.

On 8/12/05, Jean T. Anderson <jta@bristowhil

> > You need a small group of people to organize and coordinate the
> > activities, and you need funding,
>
> Sorry -- I'm lost here. Why do we need funding for a mail list?

it's not the funding of the mailing list, it is the execution of the
ideas  the list
suggests which might need the funding.

Cultural changes that you suggested (making apache more conducive to
women) can not just happen with the click of your fingers.. these kind
of things can take years as I'm sure you are aware. so when I think
long-term I think it will need money to sustain it and the various
things it does... (ie.. getting a keynote speaker into ApacheCon to
talk about how to communicate in a non threatening manner would cost
money).

> > OR for the women in apache to have a place to chat and network?
> >
> > i don't know what would be achieved by this which couldn't be acheived
> > by a general women @ opensource type list, which would ASF members
> > would also be a part of if they choose.
>
> It would, for example, provide an ideal place for (potential) new
> contributors to discuss and learn "how to's" at Apache.

then we have 2 different missions, and as such we really should have 2
different lists.
a "making apache more conducive to women",

and a "womens network" or a "newbies network" to make it less gender specific.

> In any event, I don't think we'd want to discuss how to connect the dots
> at Apache on a general women's list outside Apache. That strikes me as
> an odd fit.

yep .. I agree.

Posted by susan wu <su...@arctic.org>.

> Unless they're saying 'I think I want to know how the ASF works.' :-)

Ok, so is your +1 in support of a list whose purpose is similar to the
purpose Ian proposed as his 2nd list? To stimulate discussion and a create
a support network for women?  It's unclear exactly what you are voting
for.

Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Ian Holsman wrote:
> -1
>
> women@apache.org should be for ASF members/comitters.
>
> the reasoning is below.
> firstly is main aim of the list is to gain more women members (a
> PR/markerting issue)

Here are the goals Danese and I presented:

> Our first pass at goals would be:
>
> -raise awareness to make user groups especially more friendly (there  is anecdotal evidence that some users are hesitant to post or to ask  offline questions because of flames)
> -encourage more women developers to join Apache and to STAY
> -develop ways for less technically confident people to contribute in  needed ways (yes, this might mean documentation and instructional  materials, both user and developer oriented)

I'm not opposed to throwing these goals out and starting fresh, but I
disagree that the main aim is to gain more women members.

My aim is to increase participation by women in Apache projects. That
might ultimately lead them down a path to membership, but that's more of
a side effect.

> If the women@ list is a method to gain more members, than I question
> the list in general, as we have never done 'membership drives' before,
> but I would say having 20-30 people on a list designed to do a PRC
> type activity will fail.

In a sense this *is* a recruitment effort because we are trying to draw
in more women; hence, the desire to bring in non-committers. These are
the very women we want to help succeed participating on projects at
Apache. I'd like to think some will go on to become committers and maybe
even members. In the meantime, the contributions they make to Apache
will be worthwhile in their own right.

> You need a small group of people to organize and coordinate the
> activities, and you need funding,

Sorry -- I'm lost here. Why do we need funding for a mail list?

> you do not need 100 or so people chiming in what they think, who don't
> know how the ASF works.

I certainly agree with that!

> OR for the women in apache to have a place to chat and network?
>
> i don't know what would be achieved by this which couldn't be acheived
> by a general women @ opensource type list, which would ASF members
> would also be a part of if they choose.

It would, for example, provide an ideal place for (potential) new
contributors to discuss and learn "how to's" at Apache.  I gave an
example (a "success story") a couple days ago of a woman contributor on
the Derby project who provided a patch for the derby web site that added
documentation about the new Derby eclipse plug-in.  Her expertise is
Derby and Eclipse. But to do this web site documentation project, she
learned how to work with forrest, she learned how to work with the
subversion repository at Apache to create a patch, and -- I forgot to
mention this the other day -- she also learned how to upload her patch
to a Jira issue.

The number of dots to connect (in this case forrest, subversion, and
jira) can sometimes feel overwhelming for somebody who is newly spinning
up. Forrest help is readily available at Apache, but instead of
additionally sending her to Atlassian lists for Jira help and Tigris.org
lists for subversion help, this list can provide some hand holding to
help participants connect all those dots in the Apache context.

But I'll add the same disclaimer I did the other day. I'm kind of
focused on technical activities, and I certainly wouldn't suggest that
this list be solely devoted to projects like the one I mentioned. It's
just one example.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org

Posted by Ian Holsman <kr...@gmail.com>.
On 8/12/05, Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org> wrote:
> Ian Holsman wrote:

> Just bear in mind that you are also precluding the possibility of
> getting viewpoints from people who may be involved very much, although
> not a committer or member yet.  I personally think that such input would
> be valuable as we are trying to determine the scope of what is going on
> here.

Hi Berin.
yes i agree to a point, but not enough to sway my vote from -1.

(I would also like to see people who voted +1 give an explanation on
why they think it is a good idea, but the vote didn't call for that..
so it appears a bit biased)

I think it comes down to what the list is for. if it is for
networking, then hey why are all these men here, and as it seems
dominating the conversations?

If it is for PR/member drive..

it depends on what you are aiming at.
are you trying to:
- get more womein involved in open source

- get more women involved in the ASF who are not there already

- get the women who are on the sidelines, and get them to convert into
comitters/members

- keep the women we have

while outsiders (and a great deal of books) could help address this
issue, this shouldn't be directly adddressed by the ASF. we are not
the opensource world. the OSS should be looking at those issues, and
we should co-ordinate with them about those to make sure we aren't
doing the wrong thing here.

points 2-4 are slightly different, if we assume the OSS is doing their
bit about women in open source we need to get insights on how/why the
ASF isn't, or how it could improve. how can outsiders help with this?
they don't know what the ASF is doing as they aren't in there, unless
your thinking we need a 'fresh unopinionated view' to tell us where we
are wrong.. but our culture would tell that person to go shove it, as
they haven't earn't their credibility with the other members.

also.. it isn't all about viewpoints, it is about getting the job done.
While the viewpoints might be valid it will also make the next part of
the job (actioning them) much harder.

I think it would be much easier for this to be done from the inside
going out (ASF members fixing it themselves, and using their networks
to achieve the result), not the outside in (strangers coming in and
telling us what to do)

The only role for a external consultant in a organisation is to
deliver the bad news the boss has. We don't need one.

--Ian

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.

Posted by Ian Holsman <kr...@gmail.com>.
in general YES I think we should throw non-ASF'ers out.

but in Danese's case, as she is on the OSS board she could act as a
liason between
the women's group on here, and the bigger OSS effort which seems to be
going on at this
stage.

Alot of the issues that the ASF group would raise would be similar to
the ones found on other womens lists, she could help by providing
advice and guidance on what other groups have found and how they
approach it, and help with strategic focus.

BUT she should be a liason, not have the final say, she is not a ASF
member, and since I have been in the ASF I have never seen her name on
any mailing list I follow (board@, prc@, or some of the code ones), so
she would be ill suited to speak for the ASF for those 2 reasons.

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Ian Holsman <kr...@gmail.com>.
-1

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> > continue to be moderated until the participants decide to change that
> > policy.
> >
> > This vote is to determine if the participants on this list agree to
> > allow subscriptions by non-committers.
> >
> > [ ]  1: Yes, I approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org
> > [ ]  0: I don't care
> > [ ] -1: No (please add an explanation)
>
> It is way too early for this decision.
>
> The first thing that we should do is to
> concisely define the purpose of this list.
> Say 50 words that can be sent in response to
> the women-info@a.o command.
>
> When we know what our purpose is, then the
> audience will become apparent, and there will
> probably be no need to vote.

I still think that it is too early.

I vote -1. My reasons are similar to Ian's. I would rather
a small group: existing committers and other invited people
e.g. Danese. Discuss the topics first among people who are
already familiar, get some documentation happening, then
perhaps open it to a wider audience.

Maybe that is already what the vote aims to decide.
This is why i would prefer to discuss a topic before
leaping into a Vote thread. If the vote is about
"invited non-committers" then +1.

-David

women@apache.org mail list description

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Brian W. Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2005, at 4:32 AM, David Crossley wrote:
>> <snippage>
>> It is way too early for this decision.
>>
>> The first thing that we should do is to
>> concisely define the purpose of this list.
>> Say 50 words that can be sent in response to
>> the women-info@a.o command.
>>
>> When we know what our purpose is, then the
>> audience will become apparent, and there will
>> probably be no need to vote.
>

>     "Increase the participation of women at the ASF"

here's a more verbose suggestion:

in Apache Software Foundation projects.  This list is open to anyone who
participates in an Apache project to discuss topics that will promote
even greater participation and contributions by women.  Public archives
are available for this list.

If that's too general and we want to narrow the focus (eliminate
"strategic" and emphasize "tactical"):

in Apache Software Foundation projects.  This list is open to anyone who
participates in an Apache project to discuss topics that will promote
even greater participation and contributions by women, including what
the ASF is and how it works as well as practical aspects of how to
participate on a project, such as how to use the Apache infrastructure
tools (web sites, source repositories, bug management tools).  Public
archives are available for this list.

The second seems overly focused to me, but I'm open to suggestion and
modification.

  -jean

Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Danese Cooper wrote:
> +1 as well...although I'm not sure I'm allowed to vote :-)

on apache lists anyone can vote -- though the vote may not be binding.

My goal is to flush any concerns out into the open, resolve them, and
avoid a post 3 weeks from now that says "Hey, who decided it was ok to
allow non-committers to join?" It's easier to point to a single
[RESULT][VOTE] summary than to a tangled thread with many posts to wade
through.

  -jean

Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org

Posted by Danese Cooper <da...@gmail.com>.
> [X ]  1: Yes, I approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org

+1 as well...although I'm not sure I'm allowed to vote :-)

Danese

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com>.
On 8/12/05, Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@golux.com> wrote:
> We now have 5 in favour, 1 'don't care', and 1 opposed, out of 11
> subscribers.  Four (4) people have not yet expressed a clear opinion.

I believe we have 6 in favor: Jean, Danese, Berin, Ted, Cliff, Ken

Cliff

Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: [VOTE] Approve adding non-committers to women@apache.org