Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/09 10:50:04 UTC

Please retweet and vote

https://twitter.com/asfmavenproject/status/906451059966693376
--
Sent from my phone

Re: [RESULT] Re: Please retweet and vote

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
Stephen,

I was pragmatic and did not want to push users to use Maven&Java8 only
because JDK 7 is weak.

First the interest should go from inside, this means API and then users.

I agree with Michael whether we should better focus on Maven 4 and POM
structure.

For instance today everybody could notice on mailing list that we are in
hurry with Jigsaw support, me too! It does not mean for me Java 9, nothing
but Jigsaw's modularity because this goes with Users - my second question
(first was API). So yes this makes sense to spend the time in Jigsaw
however I am the one who does not like Oracle's style of pushing the
release and breaking their rules that Java SE release is aligned with Java
EE release where Java EE 8 is not yet out. And I am not talking about the
facts that Oracle's Patent of SE will be cheaper but developers more angry
in 9 and 10 because I know what they plan to do!

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Hervé and I discussed on irc earlier today.

My suggestion - I was going to write up tomorrow - is that we drop 7 for
3.6.x

We should focus 3.6.x on making the codebase Java 8 (lambdas, replace
File____Stream with the non-file handle leak version, adopt Path, etc) with
a view to encourage contributions... and best support for Java 9 (such that
if you run j9 we recommend 3.6.x)

We can keep 3.5.x alive for security issues and S1/S2 backports for the
next 6 months or so. Close all other lines.

75% of people were fine with requiring Java 8

Also remember that Java 7 ships with out of date TLS root CA certs and iirc
does not support SNI, so the reality is you shouldn't be running Maven with
Java 7 unless you are within a secure intranet with a corp proxy that can
perform the TLS verification for you.

(Now openjdk 7 is a different story, but if we say some subset of 7 then
people will assume oracle 7 also)

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.

-----

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
Robert,

>>And if we're focusing on the latter, shouldn't the twitter question be

Good remark! I am not against such question on Twitter but I would be
interested in one more in comparison to Gradle.

*What the Maven should improve to make Maven more attractive against
Gradle?*

Because I don't think that question about using Java 8 in Maven beats more
that the question with Gradle.

I know the PMC's answer to Gradle and I am totally with you! I don't use
Gradle and never will but the users always like to try some new.

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <ml...@batmat.net>.
Hello,

Only lurking those days, but chiming in quickly here :-).

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 20:21:11 +0200, Stephen Connolly <
> stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun 10 Sep 2017 at 19:04, Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Are we facing new API regarding networking and security useful in Java 8?
>>>
>>> When I first saw these options I asked myself what benefit would have the
>>> User and Jenkins from Java 8.
>>> And second question was whether we would be so flexible to rewrite the
>>> code
>>> and use Lambda fully anywhere in the code.
>>>

>> There is the social aspect. If you are a potential new contributor to
>> Maven
>> and you look at our heavy Java 1.3 convention codebase (ok, I'm being a
>> demagogue, it's had a bit updated to 5.0) are you going to be encouraged
>> step forward?
>>
>> How can you make small improvements and demonstrate you are a safe pair of
>> hands to gain the commit bit?
>>
>> Now if we have the opertunity to make lots of tidy up and you can show you
>> are a safe pair of hands, retaining binary compatibility with older
>> plugins, making the code more readable, finding file handle leaks, etc...
>> well now you have a welcome path to demonstrate your skills.... while
>> gaining familiarity with the codebase so that when we turn around to start
>> on Maven 5.0.x you can join in the fun.
>>
>> Now that is not a technical argument, but we are a community first... so
>> maybe the technical arguments are not so right to push!
>>

> bq. but we are a community first
>
> What's the definition of community: the large user group or the few we're
> hoping to find who can help working on Maven?
> And if we're focusing on the latter, shouldn't the twitter question be:
>
> I want to become a Maven developer
> [] right now!
> [] only if Maven requires Java 8 ( so I can use lambda's, etc.)

This is definitely one the things we put forward for moving Jenkins to Java
8 recently [1], keeping contribution appealing.
Because, well, that's great the Maven community would try to help large
companies not be bothered by any kind of upgrade, like Free Enterprise
software support :-).
But I think this is a dead-end, those kind of teams/companies won't upgrade
*anyway*.

Looking at the stats, I would think there's actually not much debate:
people not wanting to upgrade, well, won't upgrade... And proportion is not
that high.
What is the actual issue anyway? They will keep using 3.5.x for 3 years? So
what, I bet they already do. No, wait, they're not, they're using 2.2.1.
I just checked, the company I left 1 year ago is still running 3.2.1, and I
don't expect them to upgrade anytime soon...

Maven backward compatibility is great, so IMO don't bother spending time
with JDK7.
The Maven dev team should IMO concentrate of making Maven great, not
supporting a big variety of versions/flavours developers will hate the
codebase each time they remember "urgh, I can't use this!".
The less combinatorials, the better for anyone working on her/his free time
:-\.

My 2 cents

-- Baptiste
[1] https://jenkins.io/blog/2017/01/17/Jenkins-is-upgrading-to-Java-8/

Re: [RESULT] Re: Please retweet and vote

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Sun 10 Sep 2017 at 19:04, Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Are we facing new API regarding networking and security useful in Java 8?
>
> When I first saw these options I asked myself what benefit would have the
> User and Jenkins from Java 8.
> And second question was whether we would be so flexible to rewrite the code
> and use Lambda fully anywhere in the code.

There is the social aspect. If you are a potential new contributor to Maven
and you look at our heavy Java 1.3 convention codebase (ok, I'm being a
demagogue, it's had a bit updated to 5.0) are you going to be encouraged to

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.