Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jeremy Wechsler <je...@xb.com> on 2003/11/06 15:56:32 UTC

OS X Build confusion

When building subversion on OS 10.3, I follow the following steps:

1) Downloaded clean sources of apr, apr-util, swig, and neon, along
with subversion
2) Installed them in /usr/local/src, with appropriate symbolic links
for each (apr -> apr-0.94.1, etc)
3) sh ./autogen.sh
4) ./configure
5) make
6) sudo make install

These commands occasionally produce warnings, but they all complete
without error.  However, when attempting to run subversion, say with:

svn co svn:://mysourceurl

I get everyone's favorite error,
svn: Bad URL passed to RA layer
svn: Unrecognized URL scheme: "svn://mysourceurl"

Now, this is nominally because the neon library can't be found, right?
but it lives in /usr/local/lib in both static and dylib versions.
libtool and apple's linker are supposed to encode the path into the
reference anyway, so I don't believe it has to do with the setting of
environment vars like DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH (setting it explicitly makes no
nevermind anyway).

I'd wait for fink to add it to the unstable branch, but I'm advocating
a migration from Clearcase, fueled in part by developers wanting to
work on their OS X laptops and there's some time pressure here.  While
I suspect I'm not alone, I'm also not part of a huge mob :)  Any advice
from those who have successfully build subversion under OS X without
fink gratefully accepted.

Jeremy Wechsler
Director of Development
Expand Beyond, Inc.

Re: OS X Build confusion

Posted by Jeremy Wechsler <je...@xb.com>.
Quite so.  I was pulling info from my notes, not my console.  Those
errors were from an earlier attempt, where I foolishly attempted to use
the -with-(lib) directives to configure.  While I'm not sure why I went
down that road eight hours ago, a hand delete of every library and any
matching libraries from fink, a fresh build of .32 works without
incident.  Lovely and thanks for dropping me a line so quickly.

Jeremy Wechsler
Director of Development
Expand Beyond, Inc.

Re: OS X Build confusion