Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2011/01/17 15:14:24 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1059910 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES modules/ssl/ssl_engine_io.c

On 17 Jan 2011, at 3:14 PM, jorton@apache.org wrote:

> Author: jorton
> Date: Mon Jan 17 13:14:21 2011
> New Revision: 1059910

> Log:
> * modules/ssl/ssl_engine_io.c: Revamp output buffering: add a
>  "coalesce" filter which buffers the plaintext, and remove buffering
>  of the SSL records -- i.e. buffer before the SSL output filter,
>  rather than after it.  This aims to reduce the network overhead
>  imposed by the output of many small brigades (such as produced by
>  chunked HTTP response), which can now be transformed into a few
>  large TLS records rather than many small ones.

Is this not a duplicate of the BUFFER filter in mod_buffer?

Regards,
Graham

Re: svn commit: r1059910 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES modules/ssl/ssl_engine_io.c

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
On 17 Jan 2011, at 4:35 PM, Joe Orton wrote:

>> Is this not a duplicate of the BUFFER filter in mod_buffer?
>
> Ah, I forgot that was in the tree.  It is similar, but that's a
> content
> filter which requires manual user configuration, this is a
> connection-level filter which does not.  Yes, it would certainly be
> very
> nice to have a more abstract buffering filter with an API.

True.

What I've had in mind for a while is a connection level buffering
filter that allows the backend request to complete and for r->pool to
be destroyed (and all resources released), while the frontend takes
its time consuming the data. I suspect that buffering filters are
simple enough that trying to optimise them may be over the top.

Regards,,
Graham

Re: svn commit: r1059910 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES modules/ssl/ssl_engine_io.c

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.
On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 04:14:24PM +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 17 Jan 2011, at 3:14 PM, jorton@apache.org wrote:
>
> >Author: jorton
> >Date: Mon Jan 17 13:14:21 2011
> >New Revision: 1059910

> >Log:
> >* modules/ssl/ssl_engine_io.c: Revamp output buffering: add a
> > "coalesce" filter which buffers the plaintext, and remove buffering
> > of the SSL records -- i.e. buffer before the SSL output filter,
> > rather than after it.  This aims to reduce the network overhead
> > imposed by the output of many small brigades (such as produced by
> > chunked HTTP response), which can now be transformed into a few
> > large TLS records rather than many small ones.
>
> Is this not a duplicate of the BUFFER filter in mod_buffer?

Ah, I forgot that was in the tree.  It is similar, but that's a content
filter which requires manual user configuration, this is a
connection-level filter which does not.  Yes, it would certainly be very
nice to have a more abstract buffering filter with an API.

Regards, Joe