Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/03 03:25:52 UTC

Change package name of QpidLog4JConfigurator

Hi devs,

At the moment the class QpidLog4JConfigurator is included in package
org.apache.log4j.xml, which is a standard package in log4j. This causes a
class-loading issue in an OSGi environment as it does not allow exporting a
given package from more than one bundle. Can we change ours to something
like org.apache.qpid.log4j.xml?. Apparently this package is used in 4 other
packages.

Thanks,
Danushka

--
Danushka Menikkumbura
Apache Axis2 PMC Member

Apache Qpid - World Domination through Advanced Message Queueing ;
http://qpid.apache.org

phone : +94 77 364 1754
personal blog : http://danushka-menikkumbura.blogspot.com/
<http://danushka-menikkumbura.blogspot.com/>technical blog :
http://danushkastechythoughts.blogspot.com/
 <http://danushkastechythoughts.blogspot.com/>twitter :
http://twitter.com/danushkamenik
<http://twitter.com/danushkamenik>linkedin :
http://lk.linkedin.com/in/danushka

Re: Change package name of QpidLog4JConfigurator

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Danushka,

If I recall correctly the class had to be in that package to allow it
to subclass and replace some log4j functionality. That was done such
that when validation is performed on the brokers log4j configuration
then appropriate warnings are output or exceptions raised should the
configuration be invalid or malformed either at startup or when
changes get picked up using the XMLWatchdog abilities. log4j otherwise
just silently goes with with whatever it managed to get applied at the
time and in most cases falls back to debug logging which is
undesirable.

At the time it was written log4j (1.2) development appeared to be
pretty dead, however after many years I see they have actually finally
released an update to it recently so it might be worth me looking at
contributing the functionality upstream afterall. Alternatives for now
though could be to look into making use of the functionaloty
configurable and loading the class with reflection such that you could
simply remove it for your intended usage, or even pulling the class it
replaces into Qpid so that it can be made public.

Robbie

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org