Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2001/09/05 03:44:24 UTC

Authentication howto

I just committed auth.html in the howto directory. It's not perfect, but
with all I am working on at the moment, if I don't commit it now, I
might never get around to it. Let me know if you like it, what things
you think should change, and so on, and we can link it in once people
think it is worth it.

I'd like to add more examples, and perhaps some stuff about mod_auth_db.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
http://www.rcbowen.com/kenya/

Re: Authentication howto

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Rich Bowen wrote:

> I just committed auth.html in the howto directory. It's not perfect, but
> with all I am working on at the moment, if I don't commit it now, I
> might never get around to it. Let me know if you like it, what things
> you think should change, and so on, and we can link it in once people
> think it is worth it.
>
> I'd like to add more examples, and perhaps some stuff about mod_auth_db.

This looks good, although I haven't read it in detail yet.

A few things we might want to consider (don't feel obliged to do this
yourself):

1. Going through the 1.3 FAQ and make sure this doc covers most of the
auth related issues there.

2. Talk about the satisfy directive and combining auth/access control.

3. What you CAN'T do with basic auth (logout, change the login box,
single login across multiple sites, etc) because the browser controls
the process and supplies the state.

4. mod_auth_digest "the next generation" and all the alternative
backends to basic auth (ldap/ntml/oracle/etc)

Joshua.