Posted to dev@pinot.apache.org by Fu Xiang <fx...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/15 03:55:00 UTC

Some thoughts on SegmentPreProcessor

1. For large table, the segment reloading may take very long time during
server start up. Shall we consider load segment as it is during server
startup, then reload each segment afterward?
2 .Shall we consider when to regenerate the segment. E,g. indexing removal,
update dictionary type from dict to non-dict (not yet supported).

--
Xiang Fu

Re: Some thoughts on SegmentPreProcessor

Posted by Fu Xiang <fx...@gmail.com>.
For 1, It’s more about getting server startup faster. Otherwise it may take
long time to do rolling restart.

For 2, we can keep adding per column basis index to existing segment, just
need to support dictionary and non-dictionary conversion on the fly.
Meanwhile we can keep track of real size for used index size as well as
segment total size to decide when to do compaction.

Posted by Mayank Shrivastava <ma...@gmail.com>.