Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Norm Samuelson <nh...@llnl.gov> on 2004/07/21 19:08:38 UTC

static link vs shared object

We have been using Xerces to parse the input parameters for a large physics
simulation code.  It is working pretty well.  I want to thank all the
developers of Xerces for a very nice piece of work.

We currently have only one big complaint about Xerces.  It builds as a
shared object.  That is somewhat painful now for our users, who must set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH when they run our code, but it will become much more of a
pain soon, when the Blue Gene Light machine appears, as it is not expected
to support shared objects.

I know that this has come up before, but adding the ability to build a
static library is getting to be a higher priority for us.

I would like to hear from anyone who has built a static Xerces library on
more than one unix/linux platform.

- Norm -

Norman H. Samuelson                         nhs@llnl.gov
Lawrence Livermore National Lab      925-422-0661
P.O. Box 808, L-98
Livermore, CA 94551