Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2002/10/30 21:37:17 UTC

MySQL Driver (Connect/J) License

Serge,

Would you mind contacting MySQL about v3 of the driver?  I guess we need
them to provide it under the ASL, rather than the GPL as they are currently
doing for the new release.

	http://www.mysql.com/downloads/api-jdbc.html

If not, we'll have to figure out what we want to do post-2.1 release

	--- Noel

RE: MySQL Driver (Connect/J) License

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
"If you need non-GPL licenses for commercial distribution please contact me
<ma...@mysql.com> or sales@mysql.com."

As I understand it, we need non-GPL for Apache distribution, or some form of
permission that allows the driver to be distributed with James without the
GPL superceding the ASL.

Correct?

	--- Noel

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> where is the James TODO list of pending enhancements, etc.

It is on the TODO list.  :-)

Posted by Alan Gerhard <al...@GerCom.Com>.
just a little cautious in getting too much too soon ...

where is the James TODO list of pending enhancements, etc.
Not the wish list nor the bug list, but the list that maps out the James-way to
Enterprise Stardom ??

thanks,
alan

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Alan,

> With the current James JDBC functionality, what will we explicitly gain by
> implementing this driver ??

I'm just planning ahead.  The v3 driver is still in beta, but ought to be
suitable for improved JDBC access in James v3.  Even if the new driver had
some critical bug fixes over the current driver, I'd just as soon re-do the
bug fixes (generally an easy thing to do once you know that a bug exists)
for James v2.1.

In any event, API enhancements aside, the new driver has improved
performance and memory consumption characteristics.

Posted by Alan Gerhard <al...@GerCom.Com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I've already got the MySQL drivers in my CLASSPATH because I do other work

Understood.  I like the fact that the new one supports
com.mysql.jdbc.Driver.  It lets the user just drop in a new one without
worrying about the one in our sar.

Posted by Kenny Smith <ke...@journalscape.com>.
Hi Noel,

> I prefer that if we have a binary distro, that people
> actually be able to use it out of the box, so to speak.
> But I don't particularly like having to distribute a
> backlevel driver due to license reasons.

Well, out-of-the-box-James uses File repositories by default, so an SQL
driver isn't actually neccessary. You can kind of think about it like the
TLS stuff, the Java APIs for secure socket connections isn't distributed
with J2SE, but James supports it (as long as you uncomment it in the
config). You can certainly handle the db driver the same way by requiring
users to have the proper db driver in their classpath.

I've already got the MySQL drivers in my CLASSPATH because I do other work
on my server, so I didn't really need the one distributed in James. I think
it would give me more flexibility also if I wanted to upgrade the version.

Kenny Smith
JournalScape.com

RE: MySQL Driver (Connect/J) License

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Danny,

If they'd give us the license, great.  If not, I guess we can either keep
the current one, or just tell people to download.

I prefer that if we have a binary distro, that people actually be able to
use it out of the box, so to speak.  But I don't particularly like having to
distribute a backlevel driver due to license reasons.  Although at the
moment, the new driver is only in beta.

The new driver is substantially enhanced, especially with MySQL v4.  I'm
running tests with it now (as of about an hour ago).  Found that ext/ didn't
work, but lib/ does.  I changed config.xml to refer to
com.mysql.jdbc.Driver, rather than the old name, so that I wouldn't have to
worry about the jar in the sar.

Still trying to find out where some of the missing memory is going.

	--- Noel

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.