Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Ajit Joglekar <av...@yahoo.com> on 2001/05/21 14:28:55 UTC

Jetspeed Portlets and Syndication and Struts

Hello,

We are using Struts as a framework in our current application. I am looking
for some information about jetspeed portlets and syndication. I have
following queries:

Can I deploy struts and jetspeed (and turbine) together (one web app) and
make use of Portlet api, syndication, psml, content cache and customization
features from jetspeed in struts? Has anybody done this with struts (or any
framework other than turbine)?

Can I completely remove jdbc/database dependancy from jetspeed and provide
user related information which is available through a custom api talking to
a backend host?

Going thru the mailing list I came accross "New Portlet api" discussions.
What differentiates this from the existing portlet api? Is it anyway going
towards supporting multiple frameworks including struts?

Lot many questions! I will really appreciate any information on these.

TIA

regards,
Ajit

Re: Jetspeed Portlets and Syndication and Struts

Posted by Johnny Cass <jo...@epiuse.com>.
Ajit Joglekar wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are using Struts as a framework in our current application. I am looking
> for some information about jetspeed portlets and syndication. I have
> following queries:
>

> Can I completely remove jdbc/database dependancy from jetspeed and provide
> user related information which is available through a custom api talking to
> a backend host?

I think this should be possible. The database is only used to store user
information. You should be able to replace this with whatever suits your
needs. I think this has been discussed on the Turbine list.

> Going thru the mailing list I came accross "New Portlet api" discussions.
> What differentiates this from the existing portlet api? Is it anyway going
> towards supporting multiple frameworks including struts?

The new portlet api is / will be infinitely more powerful than the
current implementation. Try a search on the archives, it has been
discussed thoroughly on the list.

- Johnny