Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Steve Angelovich <sa...@lgc.com> on 2007/11/20 17:21:07 UTC

Client blocking during service interruption

I've just started using ActiveMQ and am running into a problem with a
service interruption test case.

I'm currently running the message service as an embedded application and
no persistence.

The client uses failover so that I can reconnect to the messaging
service if there is an interruption.  The client is also specifying
useAsyncSend(true) on the connection factory.

In my test case I start the embedded service and then the client.  The
client starts sending messages.  If I bring down the service and then
restart it everything works as expected.  I see the expected messages in
the client and am able to reconnect and continue sending messages.

The problem I'm running into is that the client is blocking during the
service interruption.

In my case I can tolerate lost messages but I don't want the client to
block during an interruption.  I was hoping that by using the
useAsyncSend that the client could attempt to send messages during the
service interruption (without blocking).

Am I overlooking something or is there a different way that I should be
trying to accomplish my goal of allowing the client to continue
processing during a service interruption.

Thanks,
Steve

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review, use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.