Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Emmanuel Bernard <em...@hibernate.org> on 2006/11/06 15:24:27 UTC

Hibernate Lucene trademark issues

Hi guys,
I'm Emmanuel Bernard from JBoss.
I'm the current lead developer of the Hibernate Lucene integration module.
The goal of this project is to facilitate the integration of a search
capability to Hibernate based applications. And guess what, I use Lucene ;-)
http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/annotations/reference/en/html/lucene.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/hibernate-dev%40lists.jboss.org/msg00392.html

I realized this week end that the 'Hibernate Lucene' name might infringe
the Apache Lucene trademark policy.
http://www.cafepress.com/lucene/ seems to state that Lucene is a
trademark of the Apache Software Foundation (nice golf shirt BTW)
But I wasn't able to find any document explaining the fair use of the
Lucene brand (the license as well as the notice seem to be silent on
this subject).

Even if Lucene in not trademarked, what do you consider a fair use of
your brand? I'm happy to rename my project, I guess the initial choice
was more a tribute to your project than anything else.

Emmanuel

PS: please forward this email to the appropriate persons if this is not
the case already (PMC or whatever)

Re: Hibernate Lucene trademark issues

Posted by Emmanuel Bernard <em...@hibernate.org>.
Thanks Doug,
I've decided to renamed the project. As the French people said when a
king use to die: Hibernate Lucene is dead, Long life to Hibernate Search :-)

Keep up the good work guys.

Emmanuel

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Re: Fwd: Hibernate Lucene trademark issues

Posted by Emmanuel Bernard <em...@hibernate.org>.
Cool thanks.

Posted by Lukas Vlcek <lu...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all for your time and writing!
This will really help me.
Lukas

Posted by adasal <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shay Banon <ki...@gmail.com>.

[...]