Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Frank Liu <fl...@mail.vipstage.com> on 2002/10/01 23:06:59 UTC

JDBC Driver Installation

for mysql jdbc driver, I just copied "mysql-connector-java-2.0.14-bin.jar"
to the "tomcat/common/lib" directory and restart tomcat. the application
can find the driver without a problem. Is this the right way to install
the jdbc driver? or shall it copy it to the application's own
"WEB-INF/lib" directory? Which is the preferred way?

today when I try the same thing for the oracle jdbc driver "classes12.zip",
this trick doesn't work anymore. I have to rename it to "classes12.jar"
before I copy to "tomcat/common/lib". Am I doing something wrong or
this is the way? Why wouldn't oracle release it as "classes12.jar" then?

Thanks!
Frank

RE: JDBC Driver Installation

Posted by Jun <x...@TheEmpress.org>.
I was using the tomcat 3.2.1, everything is working fine in my webapps, but
after I installed the 4.0.3 ( in the new dictory, I changed everything I
suppose to change in the envoirment.I could see the localhost 8080 ,but  it
won't see my oracle database in my webapps.

thanks

Posted by Zeeshan <Ze...@etechlogix.com>.
That is weird.
Can you send your exact stack trace of the exception?

Zeeshan
Posted by Jun <x...@TheEmpress.org>.

Posted by Galbayar <ga...@mobinet.mn>.

Posted by Zeeshan <Ze...@etechlogix.com>.

Posted by Jun <x...@TheEmpress.org>.

Posted by Zeeshan <Ze...@etechlogix.com>.

Posted by Rick Fincher <rn...@tbird.com>.
Hi Frank,

If renaming it to jar and putting it in common/lib/ doesn't work, unzip it
and put the files in common/classes/.

Rick

Posted by "V. Cekvenich" <vi...@users.sourceforge.net>.
Usig Access as a DB will be lead to an endless amount of frustration.

FoxPro is ok, MS SQL is great. I use pgSQL from postgres.org.

V.

Posted by Glinn Cortez <gl...@cypress.com>.

Posted by Frank Liu <fl...@mail.vipstage.com>.

Posted by Frank Liu <fl...@mail.vipstage.com>.

Solution for Win2K users w/ 4.1.12 starting problems

Posted by Brad Plies <pl...@yahoo.com>.
I just had a run in with the problem that other people
seem to be experiencing, and I think I have solved it.

Problem
-------
After a default installation of Tomcat 4.1.12, after
starting Tomcat, it immediatley shuts down before you
can see any backtrace in stdout (console window), and
there is nothing in /log.

Reason
------
Tomcat 4.1.12 default web.xml includes the examples
webapp even if you did not want it.

Evidence
--------
Using 'catalina debug'

C:\PROGRA~1\APACHE~1\TOMCAT~1.1\bin>catalina debug
Using CATALINA_BASE:   ..
Using CATALINA_HOME:   ..
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: ..\temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       C:\j2sdk1.4.1
Initializing jdb ...

> run
run org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start
Set uncaught java.lang.Throwable
Set deferred uncaught java.lang.Throwable

VM Started: Oct 1, 2002 4:26:16 PM
org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry loadRegis
try
INFO: Loading registry information
Oct 1, 2002 4:26:16 PM
org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry getRegistry
INFO: Creating new Registry instance
Oct 1, 2002 4:26:16 PM
org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry getServer
INFO: Creating MBeanServer
Oct 1, 2002 4:26:17 PM
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol init
INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 80
Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.1.12-LE-jdk14
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base
..\webapps\examples does not e
xist or is not a readable directory
        at
org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext.setDocBase(FileDirContext.
java:193)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3
397)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1188)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:738)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1188)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:347
)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:4
97)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:218
9)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:510)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
        at
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
Method)
        at
java:39)
        at
sorImpl.java:25)
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)

The application exited

Solution
--------
Delete the example webapp context from /conf/web.xml

Hope this helps!