Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2007/05/21 23:42:41 UTC

ESMTP extensions audit

Hi all,

the past weekend I ran a script against the top 10000 smtp servers
contacted by my main mail server to see what is the current status of
ESMTP extension support.

The script I wrote didn't wait for the salutation before sending the
EHLO command, so many of them closed the connection using an early
talker filter (pre-greeting checks).

Here is a table of supported ESMTP extensions for the 10000 hosts and in
the second column the result only against the 100 servers receiving more
traffic (mainly free email servers).

80% of outgoing email from my server is to italian email addresses.

Extension           - 10k - 100
-------------------------------
EARLYTALKER FILTER  - 15% -  4%
-------------------------------
8BITMIME            - 81% - 84%
PIPELINING          - 73% - 88%
SIZE                - 56% - 96%
AUTH                - 36% - 30%
ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES - 32% -  7%
ETRN                - 32% -  6%
DSN                 - 22% - 52%
STARTTLS            - 12% -  0%
DELIVERBY           - 10% -  0%
CHUNKING            -  4% - 12%
BINARYMIME          -  4% - 12%
8bitmime  lowercase!-  3% - 12%

What surprised me is that ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES is much less supported
than what I expected. IIRC 2 years ago it was much more supported (maybe
some new big server with no support for ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES?!).

STARTTLS also is supported by 12% and none of the top traffic servers.

DSN is supported only by 22% but 52% considering the top traffic servers.

12% of top traffic sites expose 8BITMIME using lowercase!?!?! I think
this is the most interesting found from this test.

I also monitored the SIZE parameter exposed by the servers:

SIZE param       10k   100
--------------------------
Less than 10M     3%   15%
10M -> 20M       24%    1%
20M -> 50M       26%   57%
More than 50M    22%    1%
No limit         25%   26%

(the less than 10M is in 90% of cases more than 3M, I found a single
server exposing SIZE 3437 :-/ )

I also collected data about the AUTH mechanisms supported, but I didn't
aggregate them. If there is interest I can do it, otherwise I'll keep
the data for another day!

Stefano

Re: ESMTP extensions audit

Posted by Serge Knystautas <sk...@gmail.com>.
On 5/21/07, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> the past weekend I ran a script against the top 10000 smtp servers
> contacted by my main mail server to see what is the current status of
> ESMTP extension support.

Thanks Stefano... this is nice data to see.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501