Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it> on 2014/12/18 10:15:34 UTC

To stay or not to stay [was: Hi. A suggestion.]

I never thought of this possibility. I always felt Rivet wasn't mine
after all and probably unconsciously never granted myself the right of
thinking in these terms.

ASF is somewhat bureaucratic and rigid, no doubt. It's grown a lot and
became tailored to let many large projects coexist. I wasn't a committer
or member in the early times, but I always thought ASF was a collection
of projects which had at the center the Apache HTTP Web Server. Apache
Tcl fits exactly this model, and it would all the more so if we consider
also the projects we dropped because unmaintained (mod_tcl, etc). But
the web server (despite being still central for the Internet at large)
is not the core of ASF anymore. There are ~150 projects in ASF, some of
them really, really big and with large and thriving communities. I was
impressed by the number of top level projects Apache Hadoop gave birth.
We don't fit this picture anymore, unquestionable. Recently on the board
list someone pointed out that Apache never accepted umbrella projects in
order to have a more timely and accountable management. Well...Apache
Tcl is an umbrella project, we declared it at the beginning of our home
page, in very first statement. Definitely we are misplaced if you see it
this way.

On the other hand we are tightly connected to the Apache web server and
I see some danger ahead. It happened to me recently to show a young
engineer a project I did using Rivet and Tcl. He didn't know of Tcl and
became suspicious of it. I could only mitigate his perplexity when I
showed Rivet is developed under the hat of ASF. Branding is a key
problem, also in the Open Source world.

  -- Massimo

Re: To stay or not to stay [was: Hi. A suggestion.]

Posted by Massimo Manghi <mx...@apache.org>.
On 12/18/2014 09:50 PM, Damon Courtney wrote:
> So, the message I’m getting is that I’m the only one here. :) That’s
> cool. Just throwing it out there as a suggestion.

I appreciated the intention, it was quite stale here, inevitably. I
don't think your suggestion should be thrown away: quite timely Jeff
pointed out that many ASF projects are actually mirrored on github and
there is a lot of exchange with that part of the world. I thought for a
minute to move to git but I examined only the technical aspect (and I
didn't see a urge for that) and overlooked entirely the social implications

> Massimo is right that there should probably be a lot more sharing of
> what we’re working on. Honestly, though, I think one of the reasons
> we don’t hear much about Tcl (and, by extension, Rivet) is because
> all of the people using it are probably in the “I’m too old to brag
> about shit, I’m just here to get my work done” crowd. That’s my
> inclination anyway.
>
> I’ve done a lot of work in Rivet. I’ve been working with Tcl in one
> form or another for the last 20 years (thanks, Karl!). I just don’t
> have much time for showing everyone, explaining it, and then
> supporting it for others who want to use it. That’s probably a
> selfish attitude, but I’ve been screwed by the open source crowd
> before. The whole “stone soup” idea is great, and I still believe in
> it, but more often than not, I see one or two people doing the work
> and everyone else complaining.
>
> Sorry, that’s a bit of rant I didn’t mean to get off on. Yes, we
> should show off some of the stuff we’ve been working on. I know
> Flightaware has a repo on GitHub where the post some of their cool
> stuff. I’ve got a whole MVC framework I built in Rivet that I’m not
> ready to show wide, and it probably sucks, but I really like it. :)

I feel the same about my creature, completely, but I think I would like
to be part of a creative moment, where people throw their experience and
talent to do something. I will "grab the bull by both the horns" (like
we Italians say when you have to undertake something with decision) and
trim a bit my stuff. I will let it go into the world otherwise, like our
children, it will never grow up. But I need a few weeks, Christmas is
coming, family claims more time and I'm writing a paper

> Maybe we need a place on the website that points to projects
> connected to Rivet. Just a title and a link (probably to a GitHub
> repo) is good, but maybe a short description of the project as well.
>

> Or, maybe we’re all gettin’ too old for this shit.

oh please, don't say so. Let's try to get the best from this situation

Posted by Massimo Manghi <mx...@apache.org>.
Brice, thank you for sharing your experience, I think your case should
be taken as guidance for us in order to understand to which direction
the project should be shepherded

+1, +10 , +100 for improving the docs. I think DocBook is really
unattractive. It's never an attractive duty for me to put my hands on
the XML of the manual, furthermore the markup it's not used coherently
throughout the manual and I confess I mostly copy sections as templates
for developing new parts, having failed to understand the power and the
magic of DocBook. I'd like to find a way out of it.

 .. Massimo

Posted by Brice Hamon <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@tclhome.com>.

Posted by Jeff Lawson <je...@bovine.net>.

Posted by Massimo Manghi <mx...@apache.org>.
I think your first paragraph shows the crux of the problem and hints a
direction to follow: there is no urgent need to move Rivet out of ASF
because Tcl is not a buzzword in the open source community and it's
unlikely to become so just because gets labeled with 'fork me on
github'. We could probably move out with Rivet (and your arguments are
quite strong for it) if we had something to lay on Rivet itself that
might attract Tcl'ers who are now drawing on more popular languages when
it comes to web programming. And web programming is ubiquitous because
web technology comes handy in many different scopes and I'm certain many
Tcl'ers go to PHP, Java or Rails for building websites even when they
don't need all the power of those long established tools and don't have
strong branding requirements (yes, people like to see those shiny words
on what they paid for)

Maybe it's time we throw into the arena what we have done in these
years, let it be torn into pieces, criticized and reassembled in
something that might look attractive at least for those who have already
a penchant for Tcl.

If you allow a few more weeks I will start myself presenting what I've
been doing in the last 2 years with Rivet and what I did with it. Don't
expect anything perfect, but I made with it quite a few websites for
various purposes

 -- Massimo

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@tclhome.com>.

Posted by David Welton <da...@dedasys.com>.