Posted to c-users@xalan.apache.org by "Willis, Emma" <EM...@ca.com> on 2002/11/21 17:58:44 UTC

Re: links

ok, I have tried placing the object/library paths relatively and absolutely.
I have also looked at the examples from the Projects and the samples folders
of the xalan distribution and tried copying over their settings.  However,
even the examples won't rebuild because they cause hundreds of link errors.

I don't think its relevant but these projects have an additonal library path
setting of "..\..\..\..\..\..\xml-xerces\c\Build\Win32\VC6\Debug" which is a
folder that doesn't exist anywhere in xalan or xerces.

I have been working with a colleague of mine and we have both individually
followed the instructions from the website with no luck.  I have also tried
installing the source versions of both xerces and xalan and going from
there.

Can anyone give me any more tips on how to resolve this problem before I
give up???

Is there any chance that it could be related to the dinkumware updates not
having been installed???

Thanks, Emma

Re: links

Posted by David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM <da...@us.ibm.com>.

Hi Emma,

> ok, I have tried placing the object/library paths relatively and
absolutely.  I have also looked at the
> examples from the Projects and the samples folders of the xalan
distribution and tried copying over
> their settings.  However, even the examples won't rebuild because they
cause hundreds of link errors.

Well, that's a clear indication you haven't configured the directories
correctly.

> I don't think its relevant but these projects have an additonal library
path setting of
> "..\..\..\..\..\..\xml-xerces\c\Build\Win32\VC6\Debug" which is a folder
that doesn't exist
> anywhere in xalan or xerces.

That's the default setting when both projects are built from CVS.  In that
case, Xerces-C _will_ have such a directory.  If you've built Xerces from
the sources checked out of CVS, it will be there.

> Can anyone give me any more tips on how to resolve this problem before I
give up???

You need to make sure the directories are configured correctly in the
development environment, and you've specified the correct link libraries.

Let's assume the following:

   I've downloaded both the Xerces and Xalan binary distributions and
   unzipped them into the root of my D drive.

If this is the case,I will have two directories on my D drive:

   1. d:\xerces-c2_1_0-win32
   2. d:\xml-xalan

So I need to add three paths to the library directories:

   1. d:\xerces-c2_1_0-win32\lib
   2. d:\xml-xalan\c\Build\Win32\VC6\Debug
   3. d:\xml-xalan\c\Build\Win32\VC6\Release

and two paths to the include directories:

   1. d:\xerces-c2_1_0-win32\include
   2. d:\xml-xalan\c\src

So, select "Options..." from the Tools menu, and click on the Directory
tab.  Update the options for "Include files" and "Library files".  Then,
open the Xalan workspace, and try to rebuild on of the Xalan samples.

Note that to rebuild Xalan using our project files, you only need to
configure the first library path.  The others are necessary for your
application's project file(s), unless you provide explicit full paths to
the Xalan libraries.  For example, in the Object/Library modules field in
your project file(s), you could enter:

   d:\xml-xalan\c\Build\Win32\VC6\Debug\XalanTransformer_1.lib

instead of relying on the library or include directories you configured.
Many prefer doing things this way, since it provides an explicit path to
the library.

> Is there any chance that it could be related to the dinkumware updates
not having been installed???

No, although if you don't install the Dinkumware updates, you'll need to
rebuild Xalan.

Dave

                      "Willis, Emma"
                      <EMMA.WILLIS@ca.         To:      "'xalan-c-users@xml.apache.org'" <xa...@xml.apache.org>
                      com>                     cc:      (bcc: David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM)
                                               Subject: Re: links
                      11/21/2002 08:58
                      AM