Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com> on 2005/04/25 06:59:07 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/authenticator AuthenticatorBase.java

Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Keith Wannamaker wrote:
>
>> If no one else is concerned that Tomcat 5.5 doesn't work by default
>

> Any other nonsensical statement to make ? The only thing that does not
> work is opening third party documents from the website, due to IE's
> broken handling of this.
>
> How about a) going whining at M$ instead ? b) using appropriate
> configuration.
>
> Your veto is completely invalid anyway.

IE is still (unfortunately) the browser used by a lot of people, and if
there is a way to work around IE brokeness - I think it's a good idea to
do it.

Complaining to M$ doesn't work - people will just end up buying IIS
instead :-)

Seriously, not sure why is the veto invalid - if the choice is between
having it working for 90% of the people and doing it 'right' - it is
worth probably more discussion and a pragmatic decision :-) I would vote
for fixing it for the 90% of people - at least until IE gets down to
some 49%.

Costin

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/authenticator AuthenticatorBase.java

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
> IE is still (unfortunately) the browser used by a lot of people, and if
> there is a way to work around IE brokeness - I think it's a good idea to
> do it.
>
> Complaining to M$ doesn't work - people will just end up buying IIS
> instead :-)
>
> Seriously, not sure why is the veto invalid - if the choice is between

Because the change is integrated in all 5.x stable releases, and because
it is just too old. It should be plainly obvious.

> having it working for 90% of the people and doing it 'right' - it is
> worth probably more discussion and a pragmatic decision :-) I would vote
> for fixing it for the 90% of people - at least until IE gets down to
> some 49%.

The issue obviously does not affect 90% of people (if it was, we'd have
more than a few people complaining, it should be obvious ...), as the IE
bug is a specific situation, unlike what Keith's FUD would want to show.
However, it used to completely break Mozilla under SSL (as a compromise,
I asked for Keith to show good faith and test it again, but all he
seemed to be interested in is least effort in getting his patch in).

Rémy