Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Dean A. Hoover" <dh...@rochester.rr.com> on 2004/02/26 23:25:43 UTC

apache 2, tomcat 5, and ROOT application

Tomcat 5 uses ROOT for the root application,
and whatever for other applications. For
example, I am keeping my content in its
own hierarchy:

/home/tomcat/mywebsite/webapps/ROOT
/home/tomcat/mywebsite/webapps/myapp

I want apache to handle static content
and tomcat to handle servlet related
stuff (jsp, etc). I am wondering how
to specify that in httpd.conf. If I set
DocumentRoot to /home/mywebsite/webapps/ROOT/
that will work for http://mywebsite.com/ but
it will not find myapp. If I set it to
/home/mywebsite/webapps/ it can find
http://mywebsite.com/myapp, but then I don't
know how it can find the ROOT directory.

Here's an httpd.conf snippet:
#======
<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerAdmin webmaster@mywebsite.com
   ServerName www.mywebsite.com
   ServerAlias mywebsite.com
   DocumentRoot /home/tomcat/mywebsite.com/webapps/ROOT/
   ErrorLog /home/tomcat/mywebsite.com/logs/error_log
   CustomLog /home/tomcat/mywebsite.com/logs/access_log common

   # Deny direct access to WEB-INF and META-INF
   #
   <Location "/WEB-INF">
     AllowOverride None
     deny from all
   </Location>

#  <Location "/META-INF">
     AllowOverride None
     deny from all
   </Location>

   JkMount /*.jsp mywebsite
</VirtualHost>
#=====
Any ideas?

Dean Hoover

Re: apache 2, tomcat 5, and ROOT application

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@comcast.net>.
Dean,

> I want apache to handle static content
> and tomcat to handle servlet related
> stuff (jsp, etc). I am wondering how
> to specify that in httpd.conf. If I set
> DocumentRoot to /home/mywebsite/webapps/ROOT/
> that will work for http://mywebsite.com/ but
> it will not find myapp. If I set it to
> /home/mywebsite/webapps/ it can find
> http://mywebsite.com/myapp, but then I don't
> know how it can find the ROOT directory.

Here's what you want. For each webapp, you need JkMounts and Aliases.
You can use VirtualHosts if you have different server names, but this
works, too.

# Here's the root stuff
DocumentRoot		/path/to/webapps/ROOT
JkMount /*.jsp		root-worker
JkMount /whatever	root-worker

# Here's the stuff for 'app1'
Alias	/app1		/path/to/webapps/app1
JkMount /app1/*.jsp	app1-worker
JkMount /app1/whatever	app1-worder

You can do this for each of your applications. Just alias the base URL
to the webapp's directory and add JkMounts.

-chris