Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2011/02/23 20:21:28 UTC

Clear trend...

http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-ww-monthly-200807-201101

Re: Clear trend...

Posted by Jonatan Soto <se...@gmail.com>.
I pray every night to see IE at bottom. Let's see if my wishes will be
accomplished the next 3 years :)

--
-----

Jonatan Soto

Re: Clear trend...

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
No, I don't think JavaScript is a great choice for a language. It really is mostly a client-side technology and the server-side JavaScript stuff (that I'm aware of anyway) is not that great, really not great at all.

Also, as was mentioned elsewhere, Groovy and Scala aren't really Java alternatives since they rely on Java to run. That could be changed, but one way or another the virtual machine and compilation to byte code to run on it are important and useful approaches regardless of the syntax the programmer uses to write stuff that will run on the virtual machine.

What I was referring to, specifically for the possibility that Sun/Oracle Java disappears, is things like Apache Harmony and (to some extent) the newer OpenJDK stuff. Those things have been released under open source licenses, and you can't put that cat back in the bag. Even if Oracle decided to stop supporting Java altogether, or that all future work they did would remain for commercial licensing only, these things would still exist.

Anyway, the point is that there is no need to step back 20 years in technology advancements or even to pause for months or years while rebuilding some sort of foundation... alternatives already exist. We don't have to abandon byte code driven virtual machines or garbage collected memory management or any of those nice things.

On a side note, yes, Groovy and simple-methods (or XML Actions in Moqui) are higher level languages that could run on various platforms. This might be of interest: the XML Actions in Moqui are interpreted using an FTL template that generates Groovy code, which is then compiled on the fly to a class object and cached, and that is what is used to run the code. Changing the FTL template to generate code in another scripting or other language would be a fairly easy task (unless the language was horrible... even between Groovy and Java many things in Groovy are WAY easier).

-David

Re: Clear trend...

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Jacques Le Roux" <jl...@les7arts.com>
> Sorry to underestand in place of David,

Oops, I meant to answer in place of David :D

Jacques

Re: Clear trend...

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <jl...@les7arts.com>.

Re: Clear trend...

Posted by Al Byers <by...@automationgroups.com>.

Re: Clear trend...

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
"Java goes commercial" = having to pay a royalty for the runtime.
your one up on me for alternatives where the supporting
libtaries/runtime are open or can be purchased.
of course I am more an open person. (PUN intended)

=========================
BJ Freeman
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

David E Jones sent the following on 2/23/2011 2:12 PM:

Re: Clear trend...

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Re: Clear trend...

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
ah yes.
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=50&st=1

I became the Chief engineer in 1981
http://oldcomputers.net/sorcerer.html
when it was discontinued was the sole supporter of it.
still have some in storage with my original wirewrap.

=========================
BJ Freeman

skip@thedevers sent the following on 2/23/2011 5:53 PM:

RE: Clear trend...

Posted by "skip@thedevers" <sk...@thedevers.org>.
BJ

Re: Clear trend...

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: Clear trend...

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Though for someone who knows only to use a hammer everything is a nail ;o)

Jacques

Re: Clear trend...

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Re: Clear trend...