Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2017/05/03 23:48:24 UTC

[Math] Fails on Jenkins, succeeds on Travis

Same commit, different behaviour...

https://travis-ci.org/apache/commons-math/
https://builds.apache.org/job/Commons%20Math%20MasterBranch/34/console

Regards,
Gilles

Re: [Math] Fails on Jenkins, succeeds on Travis

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Sat, 6 May 2017 02:22:43 +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 5 May 2017 at 23:40, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, 5 May 2017 16:15:11 +0100, sebb wrote:

>>> I disagree.
>>

>> Then, please fix the POM as you suggested (using conditional
>> options?).
>>

>>> It's now not possible to generate the Javadoc using Java7, i.e. the
>>> following fails:
>>>
>>> mvn javadoc:javadoc
>>>
>>> Given that the code targets Java 7, that does not make sense to me.
>>

>> Agreed.
>> But we've already had (time-consuming) issues because most (all?)
>> CM contributors do use a Java 8 development environment.
>
> In which case why are there so many Javadoc 8 warnings?

Strange question. Don't you know that the Javadoc comments were
mostly written prior to Java 8?  [They were never checked to
conform with the HTML dialect enforced by Java 8, since the last
CM release was still required to be compatible with Java 5.]

Fixing those warnings is IMO much lower priority than fixing
the bugs. [Although it would be a task worth mentioning in
"helpwanted".]

>>> This is actually nothing to do with Jenkins (or Travis AFAICT).
>>>
>>> This seems purely to be a problem cause by a stricter Java8 Javadoc
>>> processor.
>>

>> Indeed.
>> I'm sure many people complained about behaviour.
>> Will it change with Java 9?
>>

>>> I think it needs to be resolved as such, not by suppressing the CI
>>> build errors that exhibit the problem.
>>

>> Agreed. But in the meantime, it is IMO more important that the
>> CI build fails only for a good reason (i.e. a code-related one,
>> not an overzealous documentation generator).
>>
>> My fix is for "development time"; hopefully by the time we
>> can contemplate a release, an apter solution will have been
>> found and implemented.
>>
>> By then, we will probably target Java 10. ;-)
>>

>>> In any case, it looks like the Javadoc is not compatible with Java
>>> 8
>>> for other reasons.
>>

>> Sure. Feel free to come and help... :-)
>>

>>> As it stands, dropping the '--allow-script-in-comments' qualifier
>>> allows Javadoc7 to work with a couple of warnings.
>>

>> That's the trade-off: either you allow CM contributors to run
>> Java 8's javadoc on their local machine (so that they can fix
>> the, now strictly enforced, HTML syntax), or you don't (and
>> new documentation bugs will be created since they cannot run
>> javadoc8 without the '--allow-script-in-comments' qualifier).
>
> Not true.
>
> Apart from fixiing the POM to auto-add the qualifier for Java 8,
> there
> is another option.
> If you drop the '--allow-script-in-comments' qualifier along with the
> rest of the additionalparam then Javadoc8 does at least run.

Isn't the warning signaling that the MathJax code is disabled?

Gilles

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.