Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Steve Radich <st...@bitshop.com> on 2008/03/12 11:57:13 UTC

SA UNPARSEABLE_RELAY when host name in ( ) causes whitelist_from_rcvd to be ignored

I'm unclear if this is RFC compliant or not, the specs DO say in Section
3.8.2 "environments may not conform eactly to this specification" - see
other RFC references..

The following line causes UNPARSEABLE_RELAY:

(63.218.155.52) with ESMTP id m27NKoCv031779 for <so...@domain.com>;
Fri, 7 Mar 2008 17:20:50 -0600

Simply changing the host IP to host1.internal in ( ) as below causes it
to parse:

(63.218.155.52) with ESMTP id m27NKoCv031779 for <so...@domain.com>;
Fri, 7 Mar 2008 17:20:50 -0600

We have a site that we whitelist via whitelist_from_rcvd so when we get
UNPARSEABLE_RELAY it ignores the whitelist. This SEEMS like a bug in
spamassassin.

RFC specs I read include:

    Section 4.1.3 Address Literals is the format, basically just IP
address.
    Section 3.8.2:""Received:" fields of messages originating from other
environments may not conform exactly to this specification..."
    Section 4.4 Page 51:
        Extended-Domain = Domain /
               ( Domain FWS "(" TCP-info ")" ) /
               ( Address-literal FWS "(" TCP-info ")" )

        TCP-info = Address-literal / ( Domain FWS Address-literal )
          ; Information derived by server from TCP connection
          ; not client EHLO.

Steve Radich - http://www.aspdeveloper.net /
http://www.virtualserverfaq.com
BitShop, Inc. - Development, Training, Hosting, Troubleshooting -
http://www.bitshop.com

Re: SA UNPARSEABLE_RELAY when host name in ( ) causes whitelist_from_rcvd to be ignored

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.
At 03:57 12-03-2008, Steve Radich wrote:
>I'm unclear if this is RFC compliant or not, the specs DO say in Section
>3.8.2 "environments may not conform eactly to this specification" - see
>other RFC references..

SpamAssassin doesn't verify RFC compliance.

>The following line causes UNPARSEABLE_RELAY:

>(63.218.155.52) with ESMTP id m27NKoCv031779 for <so...@domain.com>;
>Fri, 7 Mar 2008 17:20:50 -0600
>
>Simply changing the host IP to host1.internal in ( ) as below causes it
>to parse:

>(63.218.155.52) with ESMTP id m27NKoCv031779 for <so...@domain.com>;
>Fri, 7 Mar 2008 17:20:50 -0600
>
>We have a site that we whitelist via whitelist_from_rcvd so when we get
>UNPARSEABLE_RELAY it ignores the whitelist. This SEEMS like a bug in
>spamassassin.

I suggest using the Received line that is parsed correctly.   If it's
a mail server adding the Received line, you could file a bug report.

Regards,
-sm