Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Marlon Santos <ms...@exist.com> on 2007/03/01 02:30:38 UTC

Re: [Newbie] Thread won't die issue

Hi,

We are also experiencing the same thing. Actually we are in an environment
where we need to load test a website but when I was running the test on
small number of virtual users it works fine. But later on, when we increased
the number of virtual users at some point in time the threads suddenly
stopped responding, or may I say the threads hang. We are in a tight
schedule so the faster this is resolved, the better it will be
appreciated...

Regards,
Marlon

Re: [Newbie] SV: Thread won't die issue

Posted by Alexander J Turner <gi...@cubicalland.com>.
Sebb,

I think there is a good chance that you are half write.  I have
investigated the issue of running out of sockets on a windows server.
The machine can run out of sockets, but it does this in a controlled
way.  However, I suspect that under very heavy concurrent load windows
fails to send socket closed messages properly.  I have no real proof of
this (ie I have not traced the socket chatter) as - frankly - I don't
have a machine powerful enough to monitor that much traffic.  However,
Windows not closing sockets properly fits all the hanging results I have
seen.

Cheers

AJ

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 09:50 +0000, sebb wrote:

> Just realised that there is another possibility that might be
> affecting testing with lots of threads:
>
> The host might be running out of sockets or having problems releasing them.
>
> When the hang occurs, try starting a browser on the same host and see
> if you can connect to the server under test and/or some other server.
>
> S///
> On 02/03/07, Marlon Santos <ms...@exist.com> wrote:
> >
> > Ok thanks... I will be trying this and will be keeping you posted...
> >

> > sebb-2 wrote:
> > >
> > > If it is JMeter, then we will either need a repeatable test-case to
> > > investigate further, or someone who is experiencing the problem may be
> > > able to gather some further data about the state of JMeter: e.g. are
> > > there any deadlocks?
> > >
> > > In answer to Marlon, I suggest you try:
> > > - removing all unnecessary Listeners. You should only need one.
> > > - running in non-GUI mode
> > >
> > > Both of these reduce the load on JMeter.
> > >
> > > If that does not solve the problem, then try using multiple JMeter
> > > instances. If you then still get hangs, it is unlikely to be JMeter
> > > that is at fault.
> > >
> > > S///

> Unless the server does not handle multiple connections very well ...!

Hard Core How-To's, Coding Techniques ETC.
--- http://nerds-central.blogspot.com! ---
Nerds Central welcomes nerds :-)

Re: [Newbie] SV: Thread won't die issue

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 06/03/07, Alexander J Turner <gi...@cubicalland.com> wrote:
> Marlon,
>
> This is really important to get clear.  You cannot load test one machine
> with one machine unless there is a large difference is performance
> between the server (small) and client (large).  This is especially true
> of JMeter, which is not tuned for performance.  A Apache linux server or
> Windows IIS server will totally and utterly outperform JMeter without
> breaking out a sweat.

That depends somewhat on how well the application is written - and
what it is doing.

JMeter running a simple test plan can generate quite a substantial
load; if the server has to do a lot of work for each request it may
well be possible to overload the server.

However, I agree that the machine running JMeter should not be running
at or near its limit, otherwise the test results may be somewhat
variable. Likewise the network connection from the test machine needs
to be able to cope with the load.

>  Further, if it is possible for one client
> machine to load your server significantly, you have an issue!

Depends on what the server is designed to do ...

And may depend on the test plan. e.g. if the server provides different
services, some of which are rarely needed but which are very resource
intensive, then it may well be possible for a few client threads to
cause a problem for the server. But that does not necessarily mean the
server is faulty.

> Please have this in mind when you are designing your test cases.

S.

Re: [Newbie] SV: Thread won't die issue

Posted by Alexander J Turner <gi...@cubicalland.com>.
Marlon,

This is really important to get clear.  You cannot load test one machine
with one machine unless there is a large difference is performance
between the server (small) and client (large).  This is especially true
of JMeter, which is not tuned for performance.  A Apache linux server or
Windows IIS server will totally and utterly outperform JMeter without
breaking out a sweat.   Further, if it is possible for one client

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Did you try running a browser from the same machine when the problem occurred?

This should help show if the host is running out of ports.

As to how many users can be supported - well the answer is really how
many work OK - and that depends on the test plan and lots of other
factors.

Running separate instances of JMeter on the same host may or may not
help, depending on what the problem is: e.g. if the host is running
out of sockets, it probably won't help.

Certainly worth trying though. If it does work, then that suggests a
problem with JMeter and/or the JVM.

If you define the thread count and ramp-up using properties - e.g.
${__P(threads)} - you can pass this to the test plan as -Jthreads=123.

This makes it easy to test various scenarios.

S.

Posted by Marlon Santos <ms...@exist.com>.
Hi,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.