Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Craig Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2005/02/16 18:33:34 UTC

Re: no-table => subclass-table: proposal for small change to inheritance strategy values

Javadogs,

Unless I hear otherwise, I'm changing no-table to subclass-table.

Craig

On Feb 14, 2005, at 12:06 PM, Wes Biggs wrote:

> +1 for "subclass-table".
>
> Matthew T. Adams wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I was reviewing the last draft and wanted to suggest a small name
>> change
>> to one of the values allowed for the "strategy" attribute of the
>> "inheritance" element.  Currently, the three values are "new-table",
>> "superclass-table", and "no-table".
>>
>> I propose renaming "no-table" to "subclass-table", as it is the
>> logical
>> complement of "superclass-table".  "no-table" might confuse
>> (admittedly
>> dumb) readers with 'persistence-modifier="none"', whereas
>> "subclass-table" clearly indicates that fields are to be stored in a
>> subclass's table as opposed to nowhere.
>>
>> I think "subclass-table" is more intuitive enough and make it
>> **abundantly** clear to justify the change.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> --matthew
>>
>> Matthew T. Adams
>> Corporate Technical Advisor & Senior Consultant
>> Mobile:  +1 253 732 1051
>> Phone:  +1 206 331 3833
>> Fax:  +1 360 937 9616
>> matthew.adams@xcalia.com
>> P.O. Box 24163
>> Federal Way, WA  98093
>> www.xcalia.com
>>

>> Xcalia helps businesses address the challenge of Enterprise
>> Information
>> Access in a heterogeneous environment.  We provide products and
>> services
>> that facilitate the two-way exchange of information between
>> individuals,
>> mission-critical applications, and databases.  Our customers enjoy
>> improved performance, reduced operating and development costs, faster
>> time to market, and rejuvenated legacy systems.

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: no-table => subclass-table: proposal for small change to inheritance strategy values

Posted by Sebastien Chassande-Barrioz <se...@rd.francetelecom.com>.
Hi,

Craig, sorry to be late...

What does means the value 'no-table' (or 'sub-class') ?

If the class is abstract then no value is required.
If the class is concret with two subclasses where are stored the
instances ?
- in table of the first child
- in the table of the second child
- both (how to choose ?) ;-)

This value can be understanding only in the case of a concrete class has
a single child. In this case it is simpler to define the table at the
top level instead of in the subclass ... So I think this value is
useless.

In Speedo internal (JORM), we use the following terminology which is
simpler (IMO):
- new-structure: redefine mapping of all fields, including inherited
fields
- added-structure: new table(s) are used for new fields only (not
inherited fields)
- extend-structure: parent tables are extended with new fields

Finally I am not sure the inheritance strategy has to be define by JDO
users. Indeed JDO implementations can analyse field mappings and compute
the inheritance strategy. The user only defines a column name from
- the table defined at field level,
- or the table defined at class level,
- or the table of its super class.

IMO the aim is to make simple .jdo files for users, not for jdo vendors.

Note: Maybe I am very tied and I forget something, in this case I should
go sleeping ...

Regards,
Seb

--