Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tom Malia <to...@ttdsinc.com> on 2007/07/13 13:39:35 UTC

Web interface that supports security?

I'm looking for a browser interface for my SVN repos that also supports
security.  I do a lot of access control at the directory level within a
large repository.  Is there anything out there that gives a nice browser
front end but also supports such access control?

I've tried sventon and like the interface a lot but don't see anyway to
integrate security.  I looked briefly at ViewVC and WebSVN and these appear
to have same limitation.  I'd be thrilled to find out that one or all of
these actually support access control and I just haven't seen how.  If not,
then any other recommendation would be greatly appreciated.  As a begger, I
shouldn't be a chooser, but Java based would be the easiest for me since I
can then just drop it in my webapps directory of my TomCat server.

Regards,

Tom Malia

Re: Web interface that supports security?

Posted by Toby Thain <to...@smartgames.ca>.
On 13-Jul-07, at 10:39 AM, Tom Malia wrote:

> I’m looking for a browser interface for my SVN repos that also
> supports security.  I do a lot of access control at the directory
> level within a large repository.  Is there anything out there that
> gives a nice browser front end but also supports such access control?
>

> I’ve tried sventon and like the interface a lot but don’t see
> anyway to integrate security.  I looked briefly at ViewVC and
> WebSVN and these appear to have same limitation.  I’d be thrilled
> to find out that one or all of these actually support access
> control and I just haven’t seen how.

Trac does, at path granularity. Not sure about FishEye (http://
cenqua.com/fisheye).

--Toby

Posted by Tom Malia <to...@ttdsinc.com>.
Thanks for the info..  I'll take another look but I think I tried that
program once before, because it sure sounded like something I would like to
have, but was ultimately unable to get it working on my Win2k3 Server
running Appache HTTP server, Tomcat and PHP.

Maybe I'll give it another try though.

On Friday 13 July 2007 15:39:35 Tom Malia wrote:
> I'm looking for a browser interface for my SVN repos that also supports
> security.  I do a lot of access control at the directory level within a
> large repository.  Is there anything out there that gives a nice browser
> front end but also supports such access control?

I work on a PHP interface for apply rights into a subversion repository.
Browser is very simple but you can apply rights on files or directories into

the subversion.

http://www.usvn.info

Re: Web interface that supports security?

Posted by Julien Duponchelle <ju...@duponchelle.info>.

Posted by Sheryl <gu...@his.com>.
Tom Malia wrote:

> I'm looking for a browser interface for my SVN repos that also supports
> security.  I do a lot of access control at the directory level within a
> large repository.  Is there anything out there that gives a nice browser
> front end but also supports such access control?
> I've tried sventon and like the interface a lot but don't see anyway to
> integrate security.  I looked briefly at ViewVC and WebSVN and these
> appear
> to have same limitation.

We use WebSVN and it does support security.  There is a prominent access
control section in the config file (include/config.inc in the WebSVN
directory, I think copied from a template file in that directory).  We
force SSL on the directory so passwords can't be sniffed, use LDAP for
authentication and then restrict access via the same file that we use to
determine access for the checkout/commit and so forth on the repository.

Sheryl

// --- ACCESS RIGHTS ---

// Uncomment this line if you want to use your Subversion access file to
control access
// rights via WebSVN.  For this to work, you'll need to set up the same
Apache based authentication
// to the WebSVN (or wsvn) directory as you have for Subversion itself.
More information can be
// found in install.txt

$config->useAuthenticationFile("/path/to/access-file"); // Global access file

// You may also specify a per repository access file by uncommenting and
copying the following
// line as necessary.  Use the convention "groupname.myrep" if your
repository is in a group.

// $config->useAuthenticationFile("/path/to/accessfile", "myrep"); //
Access file for myrep