Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Robert Mena <rt...@yahoo.com> on 2003/12/01 21:05:12 UTC

[users@httpd] Strange apache (1.3.X) load

Hi,

I have a small server (Redhat based, latest apache rpm
apache-1.3.27-2.7.2) that has been sufering from a
strange load.

Mostly during the mornings but also in other periods
of the day the load goes up to 90 (info from the top
command).

When this happens and I am logged I can killall -9
httpd and everything goes back to normal, so I am
pretty sure that apache has something to do with it :)

Since I host almost a hundred low volume virtual
servers I  could not find (via extended-status or log)
which one is causing this but seems to me that a
runaway script (I host php sites) may be causing this.

So :
- is there any extra test I should do ? or perhaps
tool I should use in order to detect which page is
causing this behaviour ?

best regards.

Re: [users@httpd] Strange apache (1.3.X) load

Posted by Aaron Morris <aa...@mindspring.com>.

Robert Mena wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a small server (Redhat based, latest apache rpm
> apache-1.3.27-2.7.2) that has been sufering from a
> strange load.
>
> Mostly during the mornings but also in other periods
> of the day the load goes up to 90 (info from the top
> command).
>
> When this happens and I am logged I can killall -9
> httpd and everything goes back to normal, so I am
> pretty sure that apache has something to do with it :)
>
> Since I host almost a hundred low volume virtual
> servers I  could not find (via extended-status or log)
> which one is causing this but seems to me that a
> runaway script (I host php sites) may be causing this.
>
> So :
> - is there any extra test I should do ? or perhaps
> tool I should use in order to detect which page is
> causing this behaviour ?
>
> best regards.

What process does top say is taking the load?

--
Aaron W Morris <aa...@mindspring.com> (decep)