Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net> on 2002/08/01 06:22:38 UTC

Re: Windows Installer: -Feedback needed please

On onsdag 31 juli 2002, 20.48, Josef Wolf wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 08:56:13PM +0200, Jostein Christoffer Andersen
wrote:
> > > When you make a release you should include all the tested binaries
> > > for that release version.  Downloading the latest files is not a
> > > good idea because then you can no longer vouch that it all works
> > > together. Subversion contains many parts so that makes this even
> > > more important.
>
> +1

OK, I make no changes here

> > > Downloading requires a user to have internet access.  You cannot
> > > assume that will always be the case.
>
> +1. Why not give an Option like Cygwin:
>
>   [] Download from Internet
>   [] Install from local Directory

The Subversion distro is not _that_ big. The user can click on the setup
program (wich is fast and efficient) or choose the "Subversion on
Internet" menu item. This is two simple and powerful options.

> > Good points. I'm just a little bit worried that the distro will be a
> > big to a big monster to download.
>
> That's why it would be better to split into server/client :)

I will split into server/client distros if the whole thing are getting
bigger and/or if I understand that's a real demand for it.
I was thinking about making two distros in the beginning but was
recommended not to do so in this group (and I agree).

I think that one distro will do at the moment but It should not be much
bigger before splitting (limit 5 MB?).
The current distro are aprox. 4 MB in size (this will probably be a  bit
smaller when it's not development builded.)

Thanks for your feedback

Jostein

Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net>
http://www.josander.net/

Public PGP Key:
Key: http://www.josander.net/pub_keys/jostein_josander.net.asc

Re: svn-0.14.0-r2667-setup.exe has show stopper bug in it PATH corrupted on Win XP/W2K/NT systems

Posted by Patrik Husfloen <pa...@student.liu.se>.
oops, I forgot to CC the list, sorry about that :/
--
on another note, what is this reference to VB runtimes?
does the install program require them?

/patrik

[1] http://www.nullsoft.com/free/nsis/

Posted by Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net>.
On onsdag 14 august 2002, 22.39, Barry Scott wrote:

> I've not got any 9X systems anywhere to test 9xpath functionality on.
> I would be good to get a 9X user to help here.

I can mail you some autoexec.bat samples so you can test it if you want
to.
I renamed them as autoexec.w98 autoexec.w95 and so on when I wrote the
svnpath program so I could check everything.
I can check your program in Win95/98 and NT4 and XP (I purcased XP after
the registry story).

I will continue to use the svnpath program until something better shows
up (ntpath, ISX, whatever)

Posted by Barry Scott <ba...@ntlworld.com>.
Yes this really should be part of INNO. As should being able to
run an EXE to check for prerequisites. I like the simplicity of INNO
but hope that for my projects I can avoid ISX.

I've not got any 9X systems anywhere to test 9xpath functionality on.
I would be good to get a 9X user to help here.

Barry

Posted by Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net>.

Posted by Barry Scott <ba...@ntlworld.com>.
> Does it check if the path is already in PATH? IIRC the installer didn't
> check this, so that repeated installs would add the same path several times.
>
> --
> Brane Cibej   <br...@xbc.nu>   http://www.xbc.nu/brane/

Yes it checks. But it will not clean up the multiple duplicates (laziness on
my part).

The source code and makefile for VC++ 6.0 is in
http://www.barrys-emacs.org/ntpath.zip hopefully you can use this for the
svn installer.

I have placed the usage info as a comment in the source file and updated
from the text posted last night.

I have tested on Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP. On XP I have tested
admin and non-priv'ed users. The app-path has been test for removal at
the start of the PATH, at the end, in the middle and as the only item.

Note that I was correct that on all NT the system PATH is a REG_EXPAND_SZ
date type. However some application installations overwrite with a REG_SZ
value. (Don't you just love Windows).

At work I found NT4 with REG_EXPAND_SZ, W2K with REG_EXPAND_SZ and REG_SZ and
XP with REG_EXPAND_SZ. I conclude that a well behavior installation should not
change the data type in the registry. NTPATH will preserver that data type that
it finds.

You have been lucky that the installation only seems to have broken XP, some
very common app must be over writing the PATH data type.

There is still the problem of updating the path in 9X systems. I think that
9X path should be a separate utility.

I'm not going to be able to check mail for the next week.

	Barry

P.S.

I developed this mini project as my first in anger use of SVN. I have
an svn repo hosted on FreeBSD and worked on the software from two XP
machines. SVN worked without a hitch.

Re: svn-0.14.0-r2667-setup.exe has show stopper bug in it PATH corrupted on Win XP/W2K/NT systems

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by Barry Scott <ba...@ntlworld.com>.
> My C/C++ knowledge are very limited but you (and everyone) are most welcome
> to make this in C/C++. I will be grateful if yo do that :-)

O.K. I've found the time to contribute. :-)

I've written the NT part of the path update logic for NT, W2K and XP
as a C++ program that uses limited features to keep the image size small
and dependencies to a minimum.

Tomorrow I'll test the code at work where I can get my hands on NT4 and
W2K systems.

The code is a single EXE that only depends on Windows system DLLs,
kernel32.lib user32.lib advapi32.lib.

Below is a reference for the utility.

		Barry

ntpath -  utility to add and remove paths from the Windows NT PATH.

syntax:
ntpath add <path>
ntpath remove <path>

command line parsing is very simplistic extra spaces will mess things up.

add action:

Add <path> to the system PATH variable if the user has permission otherwise
update the users PATH variable. Create the users PATH variable if it
does not exist in the registry (which is true of a new users account).

The type of the PATH value is preserved. If its REG_EXPAND_SZ then it
stays REG_EXPAND_SZ, if its REG_SZ then it stays REG_SZ. This will allow
the code to work on NT, W2K and XP. There are no version checks.

Return code:
0 - <path> added
1 - add failed

remove action:

Attempt to remove <path> from the system PATH variable and the users PATH
variable.

Return code:
0 - <path> removed
1 - removed failed

Example:

ntpath add C:\Progam Files\Subversion
ntpath remove C:\Progam Files\Subversion

Re: svn-0.14.0-r2667-setup.exe has show stopper bug in it PATH corrupted on Win XP/W2K/NT systems

Posted by Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net>.
> 1. Uninstall did not remove the c:\program files\subversion from the PATH.
> 2. I manually remove the c:\program files\subversion from the PATH

It's on the installer's ToDo list

> I suggest that you put up a kit that does not run svnpath at all until we
have a fix.

I will exclude it for now and ask people to manually add/remove the svnpath
on (un)installation and fix it when I come home around 20. August. I hope to
upload a new svn installer within a few hours from now.

Posted by Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net>.
> Here is the save from REGEDT32 from my XP Pro system:
.
.

C:\Python21\;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM;l
> :\bin;l:\barry\bin;C:\Python21\PyQt\bin
>
> Notice all the %SystemRoot% in the PATH.

I have %WINDIR% and other environment variables in _my_ path as well. The
svnpath program does not _write_ the %SystemRoot% value to the registry, it
writes the %ENV_VARIABLES% itself as clean text back to the registry. That's
why I don't use REG_EXPAND_SZ when writing the path back to the registry.

The program is tested on all the NT flavors by many people, so I really want
to know what's going on here. The problem is that I can't fix/check it where
I'm now, but the svnpath source code consists of very small subs so it
should be easy to see how it works.

I have started to port the svnpath to pascal because a VB program does not
belong in a Windows installer like this. Win95 users may not have the VB5
run time files.

Jostein

RE: svn-0.14.0-r2667-setup.exe has show stopper bug in it PATH corrupted on Win XP/W2K/NT systems

Posted by Barry Scott <ba...@ntlworld.com>.
Here is the save from REGEDT32 from my XP Pro system:

Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session
Manager\Environment
Class Name:        <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time:   5/22/2002 - 10:53 PM
Value 5
  Name:            Path
  Type:            REG_EXPAND_SZ
C:\Python21\;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM;l
:\bin;l:\barry\bin;C:\Python21\PyQt\bin

Notice all the %SystemRoot% in the PATH.

I've not got a W2K or NT4 here to check out. I thought this was the case
on them all. But as your NT4 is not I must have confused when this change
came in.

		Barry

RE: svn-0.14.0-r2667-setup.exe has show stopper bug in it PATH corrupted on Win XP/W2K/NT systems

Posted by Barry Scott <ba...@ntlworld.com>.
Can anyone else confirm or refute the install problem with PATH on
Windows XP?

To repair the damage with REGEDT32 (not REGEDIT):

1. Open up Key
   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session
Manager\Environment
2. Rename PATH to PATH.old
3. Add new PATH by Right-Click New/Epandable String Value
4. Copy date from PATH.old into PATH.

		Barry

Re: svn-0.14.0-r2667-setup.exe has show stopper bug in it PATH corrupted on Win XP/W2K/NT systems

Posted by Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net>.
> The svn-0.14.0-r2667-setup.exe kit has a show stopper bug in it.
> It screws up the PATH for the system.

How does your path look before and after the installation? I'm using NT4 and
have no problem with it.

> Looking at install\svnpath\modPath.bas the fix is to change
> both PathRemoveNT and PathSetNT so that
>
> -        .keyValueType = REG_SZ
> +        .keyValueType = REG_EXPAND_SZ
>
> Where is the source code for the installer? I did no find it in

It's in the windows distro. I don't have access to the repository. You are
welcome to fix it, compile it and send it to me (but make sure that it
works, this is the first time this problem is reported :-).
I have no chance to recompile it (svnpath) by myself before 2002/08/20
because i'm in another country at the moment, I can only upgrade the distro
to the new 0.14.1 version.

Thank for you help

Jostein

svn-0.14.0-r2667-setup.exe has show stopper bug in it PATH corrupted on Win XP/W2K/NT systems

Posted by Barry Scott <ba...@ntlworld.com>.
The svn-0.14.0-r2667-setup.exe kit has a show stopper bug in it.
It screws up the PATH for the system.

Personally I'd remove the kit from the files area until you have a fixed
kit to test. (I have not tried svn-0.14.0-r2804-setup.exe).

I was lucky and spotted the error before a reboot...

The reason is that the PATH must be a REG_EXPAND_SZ on NT/W2K/XP systems
and it is written as REG_SZ. The REG_EXPAND_SZ is required as windows
puts elements of the path in like %SystemRoot%.

Looking at install\svnpath\modPath.bas the fix is to change
both PathRemoveNT and PathSetNT so that

-        .keyValueType = REG_SZ
+        .keyValueType = REG_EXPAND_SZ

Where is the source code for the installer? I did no find it in
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk to check current version.

		BArry