Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com> on 2021/12/15 17:22:50 UTC

[VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ Artemis 2.20.0

I would like to propose an Apache ActiveMQ Artemis 2.20.0 release...

There is a few improvements and bug fixes on this release, there's one
feature added:

[ARTEMIS-2097] - Pause and Block Producers

This is also the first release where we are requiring JDK 11+. JDK 1.8
won't work on this release any longer.

You can access the release notes and the git report here:
https://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/download/release-notes-2.20.0

The source and binary distributions:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/activemq/activemq-artemis/2.20.0

The maven repository is here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1240

In case you want to give it a try with the maven repo on examples:
https://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/documentation/hacking-guide/validating-releases.html

The source tag:
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/activemq-artemis.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/2.20.0

I will update the website after the vote has passed.

[ ] +1 approve this release
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

This also records my +1 (Binding) vote.

I will keep this VOTE open until Monday Dec-20th 12:30 PM US EST time
as the usual 72 hours for the release would take us to a Saturday.

--
Clebert Suconic

[DISCUSS] poll not working on 2.20.0 WAS: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ Artemis 2.20.0

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
There is one issue found on 2.20.0

epoll is not working, meaning performance may affect the broker (if
you need a lot of performance or are using it to benchmark).

I'm not going to cancel 2.20.0 now.. I will rather document it as a known issue:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARTEMIS-3616

which has a clear work around...

and we can do another release early next year. It will be a 2.20.1 (or
2.21.0 if there is any new feature added between now and then).

Does anyone think we should rather cancel 2.20.0 instead?

I wouldn't re-cut the release now anyways.. it would be on next year
if we cancel it now.. hence I'm suggesting we keep 2.20 with the
documented issue as is now.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ Artemis 2.20.0

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Domenico Francesco Bruscino <br...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 12/15/21 12:22 PM, Clebert Suconic wrote:
> I would like to propose an Apache ActiveMQ Artemis 2.20.0 release...
>

> There is a few improvements and bug fixes on this release, there's one
> feature added:
>
> [ARTEMIS-2097] - Pause and Block Producers
>
> This is also the first release where we are requiring JDK 11+. JDK 1.8
> won't work on this release any longer.
>

> You can access the release notes and the git report here:
> https://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/download/release-notes-2.20.0
>

> The source and binary distributions:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/activemq/activemq-artemis/2.20.0
>
> The maven repository is here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1240
>
> In case you want to give it a try with the maven repo on examples:
> https://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/documentation/hacking-guide/validating-releases.html
>

> The source tag:
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/activemq-artemis.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/2.20.0
>

> I will update the website after the vote has passed.
>

> [ ] +1 approve this release
> [ ] +0 no opinion
> [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)
>

> This also records my +1 (Binding) vote.
>
> I will keep this VOTE open until Monday Dec-20th 12:30 PM US EST time
> as the usual 72 hours for the release would take us to a Saturday.

+1

* Validated signatures and checksums
* Verified artifacts contain license and notice files
* Verified source license headers with Apache Rat
* Built from source and ran the AMQP test suite
* Ran the binary broker distribution and exercised the web console.
* Ran the protonj2 client hello world example against the broker instance.

--
Tim Bish

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ Artemis 2.20.0

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1

build from source, verified basic operation and console

[RESULT] Apache ActiveMQ Artemis 2.20.0

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
Results of the Apache ActiveMQ Artemis 2.20.0 release vote.

Vote passes with 9 Votes: 5 Bindings and 4 non Bindings

Binding
Clebert Suconic
Timothy Bish
Gary Tuly
Cristopher Shannon
Justin Bertram

Non Binding:
Howard Gao
Domenico Francesco Bruscino
Francesco Nigro
Havret

Thank you to everyone who contributed and took the time to review the

release candidates and vote.

I'll update the website as soon as the mirrors are updated.

This step used to take 24 hours... it should be somewhat faster now..
but I will send the announcement after everything is ready.

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Francesco Nigro <ni...@gmail.com>.
+1