Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org> on 2015/11/12 05:31:16 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.7.2 RC0

Hi all,

I've created a release candidate RC0 for Apache Hadoop 2.7.2.

As discussed before, this is the next maintenance release to follow up
2.7.1.

The RC is available for validation at:

*http://people.apache.org/~vinodkv/hadoop-2.7.2-RC0/

<http://people.apache.org/~vinodkv/hadoop-2.7.2-RC0/>*

The RC tag in git is: release-2.7.2-RC0

The maven artifacts are available via repository.apache.org at

*https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1023/

<https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1023/>*

As you may have noted, an unusually long 2.6.3 release caused 2.7.2 to slip
by quite a bit. This release's related discussion threads are linked below:
[1] and [2].

Please try the release and vote; the vote will run for the usual 5 days.

Thanks,

Vinod

[1]: 2.7.2 release plan: http://markmail.org/message/oozq3gvd4nhzsaes

[2]: Planning Apache Hadoop 2.7.2
http://markmail.org/message/iktqss2qdeykgpqk

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.7.2 RC0

Posted by Kihwal Lee <ki...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
We found HDFS-9426. The rolling upgrade finalization is not backward compatible.I.e. 2.7.1 or 2.6.x datanodes will ignore finalization.

So -1.
Kihwal

Posted by Kihwal Lee <ki...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Sunil Govind <su...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

- Build the tar ball from source and deployed.
- Ran few MR jobs successfully along with some basic node label and
preemption verification.
- Verified RM Web UI, AM UI and Timeline UI. All pages are looking fine.

Thanks and Regards
Sunil

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.
The last of the blockers went in late last week.

Re-spinning the RC now.

Thanks
+Vinod

Posted by Vinayakumar B <vi...@gmail.com>.
I think one recent critical issue
HDFS-9413, getContentSummary() on standby should throw StandbyException,
Found by Brahma, is a good candidate for 2.7.2 as well.

-vinay

Posted by Vinayakumar B <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vinayakumar B <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vinayakumar B <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Naganarasimha G R (Naga)" <ga...@huawei.com>.
Hi Vinod,

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason Lowe <jl...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
-1 (binding)
Ran into public localization issues and filed YARN-4354. We need that resolved before the release is ready.  We will either need a timely fix or may have to revert YARN-2902 to unblock the release if my root-cause analysis is correct.  I'll dig into this more today.

Jason

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.
Seeing as this came up very late, I am leaning towards dropping this off from 2.7.2.

That said, I don’t see any reason why this shouldn’t be in 2.8.0 and 2.7.3. Set the target-versions accordingly on JIRA. If you agree, appreciate backport help to those branches.

Thanks
+Vinod

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kihwal Lee <ki...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jason Lowe <jl...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
-1 (binding)

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Naganarasimha G R (Naga)" <ga...@huawei.com>.
+1 (Non Binding)

* Release notes and CHANGES.txt looked fine
* Verified md5 checksums for both the tar balls
* Ran `mvn apache-rat:check` on source tarball, passed
* Built with "-Pdist" from source tarball
* Installed pseudo cluster
* Did some basic filesystem operations
* Ran a grep, sleepjob, successfully
* Verified the jobs RM, job history server and ATS Web ui's successfully
* Verified some RM REST apis
* Verified basic admin operations of Node Labels.

Regards,
+ Naga

Posted by andreina j <an...@huawei.com>.
1. Verified for basics in HDFS, YARN and MR in below environment

	I. Secure (3 Node Cluster)
		Both HA and Non-HA

	II. Non_secure (4 Node cluster)
		Both HA and Non-HA

2. Verified for document contents in hadoop-2.7.2-RC0.tar.gz (hadoop-2.7.2\share\doc) and found that in configuration section , clicking on  *-default.xml , leads to an empty page.
If this is expected behavior, then +1 (Non-binding).

Thanks
Andreina J

Posted by Wangda Tan <wh...@gmail.com>.
+1 (Non-binding):
- Deployed local cluster from binary
- Configured CS with node label
- Ran jobs with/without labels
- Ran distributed shell / MR jobs.

Thanks,
Wangda

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wangda Tan <wh...@gmail.com>.
+1 (Non-binding):

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wangda Tan <wh...@gmail.com>.
+1 (Non-binding):

Posted by Jason Lowe <jl...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
-1 (binding)

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.
Per our discussion on JIRA and here, I was okay with this backport.

I want to get back to the RC quickly now, so went ahead and pulled the patch into 2.7.2 myself.

Thanks
+Vinod

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sunil Govind <su...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Re: Release votes and git-tags [Was Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.7.2 RC0]

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
> On 12 Nov 2015, at 20:23, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> We have always voted on release tar-balls, not svn branches / git commit-ids or tags.
>
> When we were on SVN, we used to paste in the voting thread the release branch URL.
>
> Since we moved to git, we stopped creating release branches and have always used signed tags for snapshotting and posted tags in the voting threads.
>
> To my knowledge, we never reuse tags - as they are themselves versioned - for e.g. hadoop-2.7.1-RC0 etc. So we don’t run the risk of tags getting replaced from under the rug.
>
> To me, tags are a simple way of going back to the code we ship in a release without creating and maintaining explicit release branches. No one can remember Commit IDs.
>
> All that said, we can post the commit-IDs in future release votes for the sake of convenience, but I disagree with the statement that we vote on git-commits.
>
> +Vinod

I recognise that we vote on the src distro, but that source has an origin. And that has to be a commit #, not a tag, as somebody *may* change that tag later.

the ASF incubator will only approve of git-based releases with that checksum —so its the one we should all be using

FWIW, the RC tag is: 6f38ccc ; I've checked it out and verifying it builds on Windows, including all the native libs

Re: Release votes and git-tags [Was Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.7.2 RC0]

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.
Forked the "tag vs commit id" point into a separate thread in order to not disturb the voting thread.

Here’s your SHA1: 6f38ccc6741a51a0cb64772c35e3cbab635f11c4

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Kihwal Lee <ki...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Sunil Govind <su...@gmail.com>.