Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Joarder KAMAL <jo...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/03 08:32:33 UTC

How can I add a new hard disk in an existing HDFS cluster?

Hi,

 I have a running HDFS cluster (Hadoop/HBase) consists of 4 nodes and the
initial hard disk (/dev/vda1) size is 10G only. Now I have a second hard
drive /dev/vdb of 60GB size and want to add it into my existing HDFS
cluster. How can I format the new hard disk (and in which format? XFS?) and
mount it to work with HDFS

Default HDFS directory is situated in
/usr/local/hadoop-1.0.4/hadoop-datastore
And I followed this link for installation.

http://ankitasblogger.blogspot.com.au/2011/01/hadoop-cluster-setup.html

Many thanks in advance :)

Regards,
Joarder Kamal

Re: How can I add a new hard disk in an existing HDFS cluster?

Posted by Ling Kun <lk...@gmail.com>.
hi,Joarder Kamal:
   The following steps may help.
   1. Stop your datanode daemon which you want to add a new HDD.
   2. modify the data.dfs.dir property in hdfs-site.xml as mentioned by
Geelong Yao.
   3. start the DataNode daemon again.

 Ling Kun

--
http://www.lingcc.com

Re: How can I add a new hard disk in an existing HDFS cluster?

Posted by Ling Kun <lk...@gmail.com>.
hi,Joarder Kamal:

--
http://www.lingcc.com

Re: How can I add a new hard disk in an existing HDFS cluster?

Posted by Ling Kun <lk...@gmail.com>.
hi,Joarder Kamal:

--
http://www.lingcc.com

Re: How can I add a new hard disk in an existing HDFS cluster?

Posted by Ling Kun <lk...@gmail.com>.
hi,Joarder Kamal:

--
http://www.lingcc.com

Re: How can I add a new hard disk in an existing HDFS cluster?

Posted by Rahul Bhattacharjee <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Bhattacharjee <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Bhattacharjee <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Bhattacharjee <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Håvard Wahl Kongsgård <ha...@gmail.com>.
go for ext3 or ext4

Posted by Håvard Wahl Kongsgård <ha...@gmail.com>.
go for ext3 or ext4

Posted by Håvard Wahl Kongsgård <ha...@gmail.com>.
go for ext3 or ext4

Posted by Geelong Yao <ge...@gmail.com>.
you can change the setting of data.dfs.dir in hdfs-site.xml if your version
is 1.x
<property>
        <name>data.dfs.dir</name>
        <value>/usr/hadoop/tmp/dfs/data, /dev/vdb </value>
    </property>

Posted by Geelong Yao <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geelong Yao <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Håvard Wahl Kongsgård <ha...@gmail.com>.