Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2008/03/14 00:17:30 UTC

Generated NOTICE files.... a solution

As I noted in a previous thread the current NOTICE files generated by
the apache-jar-resource-bundle 1.3 are not consistent with apache
policy.  After some discussion on legal-discuss I've come up with a
bundle that no one seems to be able to find anything seriously wrong
with: we're starting to use it in geronimo.

Aside from possible use by other projects I'd like to use this in an
upcoming ApacheDS release, so getting it quickly into a more neutral
location would be desirable.  I've opened http://jira.codehaus.org/
browse/MRRESOURCES-32 and attached a patch.

The basic idea is that the NOTICE file contains only the required
apache notice, with no extra text, explanation, horizontal rules, or
anything else.  Additional required notices can be put in a NOTICE
file in appended-resources and automatically appended.  Dependencies
are listed in an additional generated DEPENDENCIES file, by
organization, and listing the license.

Note that NOTICE files apply only to the exact contents of the jar in
question, not to any dependencies that might be necessary to actually
use the jar.  For work at apache the normal situation is that the
minimal NOTICE is all that is required, and if more is needed its
going to be because of some special historical circumstances that
can't plausibly be tracked by maven, so explicitly recording this
information in a human-written additional NOTICE file is quite
appropriate.

There is certainly scope for some kind of aggregating bundle for
assemblies that do actually contain stuff from other artifacts, such
as wars, ears, tar.gzs, etc, but these are pretty clearly an entirely
separate use case and likely to require considerably more work to get
right.  I think starting work on a separate bundle for these might be
appropriate.

I know of two problems in the patch, both in NOTICE.vm, and I haven't
been able to figure out solutions to either:

- I can't get a blank line in between the project name and the notice
- I can't configure projectName in a suitable place so it shows up in
the generated NOTICE.

Despite these problems I think this proposal is clearly more in line
with apache policy and hope it can be accepted and released quickly.

Many thanks
david jencks

Re: Generated NOTICE files.... a solution

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Quick update....

To get this working correctly for CXF, I need to release new versions of
three things:

1) apache-jar-resource-bundle - contains the new resources.  (thanks
David)

2) maven-shade-plugin (1.0.1) - very minor bug fix to the transformer
that merges the NOTICE files together.

3) maven-remote-resources-plugin (1.0) - I updated a few things to allow
the appended resources to also be velocity processed.  Example:
src/main/appended-resources/META-INF/NOTICE.vm
would get processed and appended to NOTICE.

I need to do a bit more testing this afternoon/evening, but it looks like
I'll need to do all three.

Dan

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: Generated NOTICE files.... a solution

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Quick update....

> [...]

> >> NOTICE file is quite appropriate.
> >>
> >> There is certainly scope for some kind of aggregating bundle for
> >> assemblies that do actually contain stuff from other artifacts,
> >> such as wars, ears, tar.gzs, etc, but these are pretty clearly an
> >> entirely separate use case and likely to require considerably more
> >> work to get right.  I think starting work on a separate bundle for
> >> these might be appropriate.
> >>
> >> I know of two problems in the patch, both in NOTICE.vm, and I
> >> haven't been able to figure out solutions to either:
> >>
> >> - I can't get a blank line in between the project name and the
> >> notice - I can't configure projectName in a suitable place so it
> >> shows up in the generated NOTICE.
> >>
> >> Despite these problems I think this proposal is clearly more in
> >> line with apache policy and hope it can be accepted and released

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: Generated NOTICE files.... a solution

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Quick update....

> [...]

> >> NOTICE file is quite appropriate.
> >>
> >> There is certainly scope for some kind of aggregating bundle for
> >> assemblies that do actually contain stuff from other artifacts,
> >> such as wars, ears, tar.gzs, etc, but these are pretty clearly an
> >> entirely separate use case and likely to require considerably more
> >> work to get right.  I think starting work on a separate bundle for
> >> these might be appropriate.
> >>
> >> I know of two problems in the patch, both in NOTICE.vm, and I
> >> haven't been able to figure out solutions to either:
> >>
> >> - I can't get a blank line in between the project name and the
> >> notice - I can't configure projectName in a suitable place so it
> >> shows up in the generated NOTICE.
> >>
> >> Despite these problems I think this proposal is clearly more in
> >> line with apache policy and hope it can be accepted and released

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: Generated NOTICE files.... a solution

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Mar 13, 2008, at 6:51 PM, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> David,
>
> I deployed a new snapshot, can you give that a try and make sure
> it's all
> OK?

Looks great to me!

>> - I can't get a blank line in between the project name and the notice
>
> Fixed

I'm sure I tried that and it didn't work when I did it :-)

>> - I can't configure projectName in a suitable place so it shows up in
>> the generated NOTICE.
>
> In the configuration for the remote-resources plugin, add something
> like:
>
> <properties>
>      <projectName>Apache CXF</projectName>
> </properties>

Aha! that works too

many thanks
david jencks

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Mar 13, 2008, at 6:51 PM, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> David,
>
> I deployed a new snapshot, can you give that a try and make sure
> it's all
> OK?

Looks great to me!

>> - I can't get a blank line in between the project name and the notice
>
> Fixed

I'm sure I tried that and it didn't work when I did it :-)

>> - I can't configure projectName in a suitable place so it shows up in
>> the generated NOTICE.
>
> In the configuration for the remote-resources plugin, add something
> like:
>
> <properties>
>      <projectName>Apache CXF</projectName>
> </properties>

Aha! that works too

many thanks
david jencks

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Mar 13, 2008, at 6:51 PM, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> David,
>
> I deployed a new snapshot, can you give that a try and make sure
> it's all
> OK?

Looks great to me!

>> - I can't get a blank line in between the project name and the notice
>
> Fixed

I'm sure I tried that and it didn't work when I did it :-)

>> - I can't configure projectName in a suitable place so it shows up in
>> the generated NOTICE.
>
> In the configuration for the remote-resources plugin, add something
> like:
>
> <properties>
>      <projectName>Apache CXF</projectName>
> </properties>

Aha! that works too

many thanks
david jencks

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
David,

I deployed a new snapshot, can you give that a try and make sure it's all
OK?

> - I can't get a blank line in between the project name and the notice

Fixed

> - I can't configure projectName in a suitable place so it shows up in
> the generated NOTICE.

In the configuration for the remote-resources plugin, add something like:

<properties>
     <projectName>Apache CXF</projectName>
</properties>

Dan

On Thursday 13 March 2008, David Jencks wrote:
> As I noted in a previous thread the current NOTICE files generated by
> the apache-jar-resource-bundle 1.3 are not consistent with apache
> policy.  After some discussion on legal-discuss I've come up with a
> bundle that no one seems to be able to find anything seriously wrong
> with: we're starting to use it in geronimo.
>
> Aside from possible use by other projects I'd like to use this in an
> upcoming ApacheDS release, so getting it quickly into a more neutral
> location would be desirable.  I've opened http://jira.codehaus.org/
> browse/MRRESOURCES-32 and attached a patch.
>
> The basic idea is that the NOTICE file contains only the required
> apache notice, with no extra text, explanation, horizontal rules, or
> anything else.  Additional required notices can be put in a NOTICE
> file in appended-resources and automatically appended.  Dependencies
> are listed in an additional generated DEPENDENCIES file, by
> organization, and listing the license.
>
> Note that NOTICE files apply only to the exact contents of the jar in
> question, not to any dependencies that might be necessary to actually
> use the jar.  For work at apache the normal situation is that the
> minimal NOTICE is all that is required, and if more is needed its
> going to be because of some special historical circumstances that
> can't plausibly be tracked by maven, so explicitly recording this
> information in a human-written additional NOTICE file is quite
> appropriate.
>
> There is certainly scope for some kind of aggregating bundle for
> assemblies that do actually contain stuff from other artifacts, such
> as wars, ears, tar.gzs, etc, but these are pretty clearly an entirely
> separate use case and likely to require considerably more work to get
> right.  I think starting work on a separate bundle for these might be
> appropriate.
>
> I know of two problems in the patch, both in NOTICE.vm, and I haven't
> been able to figure out solutions to either:
>
> - I can't get a blank line in between the project name and the notice
> - I can't configure projectName in a suitable place so it shows up in
> the generated NOTICE.
>
> Despite these problems I think this proposal is clearly more in line
> with apache policy and hope it can be accepted and released quickly.
>
> Many thanks
> david jencks

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: Generated NOTICE files.... a solution

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
David,

I deployed a new snapshot, can you give that a try and make sure it's all
OK?

> - I can't get a blank line in between the project name and the notice

Fixed

> - I can't configure projectName in a suitable place so it shows up in
> the generated NOTICE.

In the configuration for the remote-resources plugin, add something like:

<properties>
     <projectName>Apache CXF</projectName>
</properties>

Dan

On Thursday 13 March 2008, David Jencks wrote:
> As I noted in a previous thread the current NOTICE files generated by
> the apache-jar-resource-bundle 1.3 are not consistent with apache
> policy.  After some discussion on legal-discuss I've come up with a
> bundle that no one seems to be able to find anything seriously wrong
> with: we're starting to use it in geronimo.
>
> Aside from possible use by other projects I'd like to use this in an
> upcoming ApacheDS release, so getting it quickly into a more neutral
> location would be desirable.  I've opened http://jira.codehaus.org/
> browse/MRRESOURCES-32 and attached a patch.
>
> The basic idea is that the NOTICE file contains only the required
> apache notice, with no extra text, explanation, horizontal rules, or
> anything else.  Additional required notices can be put in a NOTICE
> file in appended-resources and automatically appended.  Dependencies
> are listed in an additional generated DEPENDENCIES file, by
> organization, and listing the license.
>
> Note that NOTICE files apply only to the exact contents of the jar in
> question, not to any dependencies that might be necessary to actually
> use the jar.  For work at apache the normal situation is that the
> minimal NOTICE is all that is required, and if more is needed its
> going to be because of some special historical circumstances that
> can't plausibly be tracked by maven, so explicitly recording this
> information in a human-written additional NOTICE file is quite
> appropriate.
>
> There is certainly scope for some kind of aggregating bundle for
> assemblies that do actually contain stuff from other artifacts, such
> as wars, ears, tar.gzs, etc, but these are pretty clearly an entirely
> separate use case and likely to require considerably more work to get
> right.  I think starting work on a separate bundle for these might be
> appropriate.
>
> I know of two problems in the patch, both in NOTICE.vm, and I haven't
> been able to figure out solutions to either:
>
> - I can't get a blank line in between the project name and the notice
> - I can't configure projectName in a suitable place so it shows up in
> the generated NOTICE.
>
> Despite these problems I think this proposal is clearly more in line
> with apache policy and hope it can be accepted and released quickly.
>
> Many thanks
> david jencks

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: Generated NOTICE files.... a solution

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
David,

I deployed a new snapshot, can you give that a try and make sure it's all
OK?

> - I can't get a blank line in between the project name and the notice

Fixed

> - I can't configure projectName in a suitable place so it shows up in
> the generated NOTICE.

In the configuration for the remote-resources plugin, add something like:

<properties>
     <projectName>Apache CXF</projectName>
</properties>

Dan

On Thursday 13 March 2008, David Jencks wrote:
> As I noted in a previous thread the current NOTICE files generated by
> the apache-jar-resource-bundle 1.3 are not consistent with apache
> policy.  After some discussion on legal-discuss I've come up with a
> bundle that no one seems to be able to find anything seriously wrong
> with: we're starting to use it in geronimo.
>
> Aside from possible use by other projects I'd like to use this in an
> upcoming ApacheDS release, so getting it quickly into a more neutral
> location would be desirable.  I've opened http://jira.codehaus.org/
> browse/MRRESOURCES-32 and attached a patch.
>
> The basic idea is that the NOTICE file contains only the required
> apache notice, with no extra text, explanation, horizontal rules, or
> anything else.  Additional required notices can be put in a NOTICE
> file in appended-resources and automatically appended.  Dependencies
> are listed in an additional generated DEPENDENCIES file, by
> organization, and listing the license.
>
> Note that NOTICE files apply only to the exact contents of the jar in
> question, not to any dependencies that might be necessary to actually
> use the jar.  For work at apache the normal situation is that the
> minimal NOTICE is all that is required, and if more is needed its
> going to be because of some special historical circumstances that
> can't plausibly be tracked by maven, so explicitly recording this
> information in a human-written additional NOTICE file is quite
> appropriate.
>
> There is certainly scope for some kind of aggregating bundle for
> assemblies that do actually contain stuff from other artifacts, such
> as wars, ears, tar.gzs, etc, but these are pretty clearly an entirely
> separate use case and likely to require considerably more work to get
> right.  I think starting work on a separate bundle for these might be
> appropriate.
>
> I know of two problems in the patch, both in NOTICE.vm, and I haven't
> been able to figure out solutions to either:
>
> - I can't get a blank line in between the project name and the notice
> - I can't configure projectName in a suitable place so it shows up in
> the generated NOTICE.
>
> Despite these problems I think this proposal is clearly more in line
> with apache policy and hope it can be accepted and released quickly.
>
> Many thanks
> david jencks

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA