Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jon Trowbridge <tr...@ximian.com> on 2002/08/27 07:35:12 UTC

Re: svn commit: rev 3076 - clients/gsvn/trunk clients/gsvn/trunk/pixmaps clients/gsvn/trunk/src

On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 01:56, Blair Zajac wrote:
> How about including the other libraries that Subversion links against in
> the license exception?  The other ones that I'm aware of are apr-iconv
> (for Windows Subversion), Neon, zlib, and openssl.

License exceptions are only needed for things with licenses that aren't
GPL-compatible.

Neon is LGPL and zlib's license is a very loose, public-domainy sort of
thing, so those aren't problems.

However, I had forgotten about OpenSSL, whose license is the bane of
GPLed projects everywhere. :)  And I wasn't aware of the existence of
apr-iconv.  I'm told that it is possible to get the Gtk+ 2.0 python
bindings working on Win32, so it could become an issue someday.

I'll update the gsvn legal boilerplate to include exceptions for these
two libraries.  Thanks for pointing them out.

-JT

Re: svn commit: rev 3076 - clients/gsvn/trunkclients/gsvn/trunk/pixmaps clients/gsvn/trunk/src

Posted by Blair Zajac <bz...@demografx.com>.
Jon Trowbridge wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 01:56, Blair Zajac wrote:
> > How about including the other libraries that Subversion links against in
> > the license exception?  The other ones that I'm aware of are apr-iconv
> > (for Windows Subversion), Neon, zlib, and openssl.
>
> License exceptions are only needed for things with licenses that aren't
> GPL-compatible.
>
> Neon is LGPL and zlib's license is a very loose, public-domainy sort of
> thing, so those aren't problems.
>
> However, I had forgotten about OpenSSL, whose license is the bane of
> GPLed projects everywhere. :)  And I wasn't aware of the existence of
> apr-iconv.  I'm told that it is possible to get the Gtk+ 2.0 python
> bindings working on Win32, so it could become an issue someday.
>
> I'll update the gsvn legal boilerplate to include exceptions for these
> two libraries.  Thanks for pointing them out.

Great!

Thanks,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>

Re: svn commit: rev 3076 - clients/gsvn/trunk clients/gsvn/trunk/pixmaps clients/gsvn/trunk/src

Posted by Jon Trowbridge <tr...@ximian.com>.
On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 19:52, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Would you instead possibly consider placing this under the same license as
> everything else in the repository, a BSD-based license?  Quid pro quo, and
> all that.

I did consider it, if only to avoid this the whole convoluted exception
business. :)  But I have a pretty strong preference for the GPL,
particularly for personal projects like this.

-JT

Re: svn commit: rev 3076 - clients/gsvn/trunk clients/gsvn/trunk/pixmaps clients/gsvn/trunk/src

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
Would you instead possibly consider placing this under the same license as
everything else in the repository, a BSD-based license?  Quid pro quo, and
all that.

	Brian