Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org> on 2019/03/19 17:34:37 UTC

[MENTORS] Apache NetBeans maven artifacts groupId and process

Hi,

  Prior to any process for voting/releasing the Apache Netbeans maven
artefacts  would be sure on one point. We may use groupId
org.apache.netbeans or org.netbeans as we have the grant to do so.

 It would be easier and more backward compatible to use org.netbeans as
groupId for Apache NetBeans artefacts. Can we use that groupId forever even
if we became a TLP. Or was it only for transitioning purpose.

  One second question is concerning process to vote/release the artefacts.
The artefacts are built using the same tag as the official release of Apache
NetBeans (incubating)   for example for version 10 its tag is 10.0-vc5.

 The only element to vote on would be a staged repository with a bunch of
artefacts at
(https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachenetbeans-1011/)
as the source are already released (signed by two different people).

  Will that work the Apache way ? How to make it comply.

   Best Regards

Eric

PS:

 (The donated mavenutilities plugins will be at org.apache.netbeans because
they are new artefacts as the previous release netbeans-parent)

RE: [MENTORS] Apache NetBeans maven artifacts groupId and process

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
Hi,

 I think the ticket is already done here https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-17127

 Staging is possible on org.netbeans. for the maven artefacts for the IDE.

Newly created artefacts will go to their org.apache.netbeans
Like netbeans-parent, and the incoming utilities that are code donation from codehaus we do a few month ago.

Regards
Eric

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
Hi

Maybe the build-version in the manifest must follow a pattern. I see in RELEASE82 artefacts that the pattern is a date and that in the RELEASE100 or 110 we have a text+timestamp. I thinks it’s good to stay in this pattern and will regenerate artefacts using date but I’m not sure what happened in you build

Regards

Eric

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Hey Arsi,

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
Hi
 Thanks a lot for the discussion. I'm not sure what I need to do.

On the technical part as per https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-17127 the Nexus infrastructure allow to stage on the org.netbeans or org.apache.netbeans groupId.
Seamless would be org.netbeans of course.

I would like to know how to present or handle the vote for a this staged items

The content is on apache nexus like that  https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachenetbeans-1012 the build is based on source from a git tag equals to the voted Apache NetBeans (incubating) 10 and I sign the artefacts with my key. Is this enough for a vote ? (nothing more on  dist.apache.org as source zip already done, not sha512 as nexus not support it)

Not presuming graduation but let's say graduation is done but artefacts from incubator Apache NetBeans (incubating) 9 are not yet published. Is a PMC allowed to release by itself or should it be also IPMC as the artefacts they belong were done during incubating period.

Best Regards
Eric

(Not very helpful but as it's a maven tools preparing the populating of the repository (not the signing phase), it is possible to run it twice to populate the both groupid)

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Hi Mark,

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

On 25/03/2019 05.55, Jaroslav Tulach wrote:
> Thanks Ate. It is great to hear that using org.netbeans.* groupId is
> legally OK and that it is not against any Apache policy.

I didn't draw that conclusion, please don't make it sound as if I did...

Instead, I wrote this:

   Legally, I think it should be fine, because netbeans.org has been
   transferred to the ASF. But it might still not be desired or allowed
   from ASF (branding) Policy POV.
   So again, I advise to explicitly ask this to be answered and agreed
   upon first by the Apache Trademark (and Branding) Committee.

> [APIs are like stars](http://wiki.apidesign.org/wiki/Star) - they are with
> us "forever" (or at least until their users/observers are alive). It is the
> goal of the maintainers to make sure the APIs evolve well. Code changes
> driven by marketing/branding purposes are the most harmful and useless
> changes to any API. Nobody wants to repeat the com.sun.swing -> javax.swing
> rename disaster.

To be clear: we're discussing Maven coordinates here, not Java packages!

Java package naming is a different topic and *may* not need to follow
the rules or policy, transitionally.
For example it might be feasible to provide and use org.apache. prefixed
Maven coordinates which artifacts provide org.netbeans Java packaged
classes.
Or maybe even *also* provide org.netbeans. prefixed Maven coordinated
artifacts as transitional solution for existing Maven users.

But again, please ask at trademarks@apache.org, I'm not enough of an
expert in this matter.

> It is important, especially right now, to make the migration of NetBeans
> Platform 8.2 to Apache NetBeans Platform as smooth as possible. We don't
> want people to ask questions like: "Should I upgrade or should I rather
> stay with pre-Apache version?" Keeping the artifact co-ordinates is
> essential part of making the migration of Maven based projects on top of
> NetBeans Platform "no brainer".
>
> Many Apache projects are [kept in historical co-ordinates](
> https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/public/) - freemarker, log4j,
> etc.
I you actually check the above you'll notice these projects *did* move
and migrate to using the org.apache. prefix for their GroupId.
What you're pointing at are indeed *historical* (old) artifacts.
There may even be a necessary incidental maintenance/security release in
one of the old / outdated coordinates, but for *new* releases these, and
AFAIK every other ASF project with Maven artifacts, nowadays uses the
org.apache. prefix.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
+1000 to this mail.

We've been struggling to make transition as smooth as possible for users
for some years now. Let's continue doing so.

Thanks,
Antonio

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.