Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by David Kramer <da...@thekramers.net> on 2004/10/16 01:52:11 UTC

Using subversion for website source management

Is there any reason one could not do this?

Let's say you have a repository that contains the contents of a website, and
developers work on it remotely.  Then there's this admin page on the website
that runs an svn update, optionally to an arbitrary rev or branch.

I would love to be able to roll my website forward and back.

Re: Using subversion for website source management

Posted by Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <av...@gmail.com>.
No, in fact i do just that.

Posted by Christophe Labouisse <ga...@tigris.org>.
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 21:52:11 -0400
David Kramer <da...@thekramers.net> wrote:

> Is there any reason one could not do this?
>
> Let's say you have a repository that contains the contents of a
> website, and developers work on it remotely.  Then there's this admin
> page on the website that runs an svn update, optionally to an
> arbitrary rev or branch.

There shouldn't be any problem but you probably have to add a
configuration rule on your web server (for apache in httpd.conf but
.htaccess will probably work) to prevent visitor to access the .svn
directory.

--
Le cinéma en Lumière : http://www.lumiere.org/

Re: Using subversion for website source management

Posted by nemmo <ne...@gmail.com>.
<dm...@thelimucompany.com> wrote:
> David Kramer wrote:
>
> That's exactly what I'm aiming for and part of the reason why I'm
> dumping Perforce (didn't want to pay for an extra license for this
> "convenience").  We do our development locally and host remotely,
> sometimes with my manager jumping onto the hosted server and making
> changes there, which has traditionally been a pain to work around.  Now
> I'll just keep a copy on the remote server and use svn to update the
> remote repository and keep track of the occasional changes.
> --

yeah.. it's what i do here too.  just make sure you agree on your
manager on what changes to commit.. and remind him constantly to
update his copy, or else you'll be in the hassle of reverting back to
"updated" copies coz he committed an un-updated copy.  get what i
mean?  hehehe..

nemmo

--
I just want to be loved.  Find me.

Re: Using subversion for website source management

Posted by Damien McKenna <dm...@thelimucompany.com>.
David Kramer wrote:

> Is there any reason one could not do this?

That's exactly what I'm aiming for and part of the reason why I'm
dumping Perforce (didn't want to pay for an extra license for this
"convenience").  We do our development locally and host remotely,
sometimes with my manager jumping onto the hosted server and making
changes there, which has traditionally been a pain to work around.  Now
I'll just keep a copy on the remote server and use svn to update the
remote repository and keep track of the occasional changes.
--
*Damien McKenna* - Web Developer - dmckenna@thelimucompany.com
<ma...@thelimucompany.com>

Re: subversion for website source management

Posted by Gabor Szabo <ga...@perl.org.il>.
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, dave wrote:

> Hi,
>     Was wondering if you could give me more information on how you use
> subversion to manage your site? I'm atempting to do an identical task with
> subversion and two or three web sites plus some system configuration files.
> How did you get apache and subversion going and do you have multiple
> repositories, perdirectory access or apache .htaccess, any other information
> also would be helpful.
> Thanks.
> Dave.

Hi Dave,

I hope you don't mind that I get back to the mailing list as I like to
have my words archived when I say clever things....
... and I like to be corrected by a bunch of clever people when I make
mistakes :)

Our site has its own repository, it makes it easier to run
svn update on the server every time you check in. It would not be a big
deal to make it part of a bigger repository as svn up will only
bring the files that were actually changed.

Once we setup the repository I went to the web server (which is
the same machine as the repository) selected a nice looking directory
somewhere in /var/www/mysite   and run

svn co path-to-the-repository

I also added a post-commit hook to the repository the following lines:

(cd /var/www/mysite; /usr/local/bin/svn update)
(cd /var/www/mysite/source; /usr/bin/perl update_site.pl)

The first one updates the local repository while the second one generates
our static pages.

The web server configuration has nothing special (except of course the
fact that it has a subversion repository in some other place).

We also have the following entry:

<LocationMatch /.svn>
Deny from all
</LocationMatch>

though actually we don't really need it as the pages generated by the
update_site.pl script are actually placed in a directory outside the
workspace in a directory which has no .svn subdirectories.

(I hope at least :)

I hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions.

Gabor
http://www.szabgab.com/

Re: Using subversion for website source management

Posted by Gabor Szabo <ga...@perl.org.il>.
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, David Kramer wrote:

> Is there any reason one could not do this?
>
> Let's say you have a repository that contains the contents of a website, and
> developers work on it remotely.  Then there's this admin page on the website
> that runs an svn update, optionally to an arbitrary rev or branch.

We don't do branching and stuff like that yet and the site is quite small
but you can take it as an example:

The site is at:

  http://www.perl.org.il/

Details about it can be read here:

 http://www.perl.org.il/about.html#about_site

After every commit we update the a workspace and run a perl script that
generates the otherwise static site.

  Gabor
  http://www.szabgab.org/