Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Vasanth Kamatgi <va...@ecomzera.com> on 2009/12/14 07:23:01 UTC

Re: Application framework technology set

I have been working on Ofbiz for the past 4 years and have got fairly good
proficiency in all major areas of Ofbiz.  One problem I have consistently
faced with Ofbiz is its presentation layer.  There isn’t a strict separation
of UI / Code in the presentation layer.  Due to this deficiency, for any
revamp in the UI, even though there is no associated change in the
functionality / business logic, it takes substantial amount of developer
time.  I see this as a major hindrance to a typical ecommerce website, where
UI changes are frequent as well as significant.  For this reason, I am
looking for the possibility of replacing the presentation layer with a more
modular framework with good separation of concerns of UI designer and
developer.

This is an excellent post that could have thrown more light on the issue of
replacing certain elements of Ofbiz with more powerful alternatives.
However I see that there haven’t been many conversations on this topic for a
long time now.  I would like to see more people participate.

At this point, I am specifically looking at the possibility of replacing the
Ofbiz presentation layer with Wicket.  I wonder if anyone had tried it out.
In addition to people who have done this experiment, I would like to hear
from others, on the possible pros / cons of this approach.  My objective is
– How to make ecommerce module amenable to major UI changes (including
swapping components from one page to another, splitting pages etc.) with
least amount of developer involvement and UI designer controlling most of
the activity.

Thanks,
Vasanth

Posted by "Michael Xu (xudong)" <do...@wizitsoft.com>.
It is really a good thread. Especially those questions from Anil Patel last
year. But one year past, it seems ofbiz is still in the same place. Really
look forward to  more comments and actions.

Michael Xu (xudong)
www.wizitsoft.com | Office: (8610) 6267 0615 ext 806 | Mobile: (86) 135 0135
9807 | Fax: (8610) 62670096